Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Diagnosis Already

DH had his MRI, and the results came in later that day. His doctor at the outpatient MC called me and wanted to meet with me in person. Once there she explained to me what the findings meant.

He has mixed dementia, AZ, VD and I think it also implies that the hippocampus is involved. M1, you can correct me on this.

Hippocampal volume on the right is at the 40th percentile, while the left is at the 11th percentile. No sign of any TIA's since his stroke in 2010. Area of T2 shine through involving small area of chronic microvascular change left frontal region on diffusion.

She changed his next appointment for six weeks earlier; she feels that she should see him sooner.

DH asked if I'd gotten the results, and I said yes, but I played dumb. I told him that it was all mumble jumble to me, and that we'd have to wait until we see his doctor to find out what it means. He has no idea that I've seen his doctor.

Have any of you had a similar dx?

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary
    edited July 2023

Sometimes it takes more than an MRI for diagnosis. And in some cases, only a postmortem biopsy can confirm. Did the dr say what the next appointment will involve, recommend more tests or prescribe any meds?

In my DH's case, first MRI showed some atrophy of frontal lobe, and 2nd MRI with dye didn't show much except a note that cited may have signs of ischemic disease and possible Frontotemporal Dementia. Then with rapid decline in behavorial issues over the next 6 months and more pronounced symptoms, his psychiatrist suspected Lewy Body Dementia. Referred him to 2 different neurologists, one for epilepsy and the other dementia, then 2 PetScans later, FTD and Alzheimer's were ruled out. I won't even go into the battery of tests in between to rule out treatable causes. So we are now officially diagnosed as "probable LBD."

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Terri mixed dementia is actually the most commonly made diagnosis. I don't think that's specific to the hippocampus-they just happened to be able to see shrinkage/atrophy there. The side to side difference could be a result of his previous stroke.

Glad she was prompt in getting the results to you.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Is he on medications? What is the six week appt for? IMO, people put a lot of importance on the MRI. The MRI tells you if there has been a stroke or a tumor as a cause for the symptomatology. Now is the time to make preparations for the future.

Iris

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW's MRI showed overall volume loss including the hippocampus. The neurologist said it was consistent with Alzheimer's and pretty much that was that.

• Terri 2.0
    Terri 2.0 Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

The only medication that he's on now is Zoloft. His appointment was changed because the doctor might want to start a trial of medication, now that his mood is better. She did mention some repeat testing in her office.

I know that he'll periodically have the same written and verbal tests, to check progression. I can't see any point in any more physical tests for further dx; they wouldn't change anything.

I was surprised at the timing of the dx. He was dx with MCI in April, and it's only July.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I see now. The doctor gave him a trial of antidepressant. This is the right step. I am glad to see, because depression may present as dementia, and needs to be treated first before a diagnosis of dementia is made.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney