Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What happens when they can no longer use a straw?

I know I'd probably get more responses on the caregiver board, but you all are my people.

DH - late stage 7 - has been drinking with a straw for about a year. A cup is not possible, even if I hold it up. But over the past couple of weeks even drinking with a straw has become harder. He will bite the straw or just keep it in his mouth because he doesn't know what to do with it. I can kind of prime him to drink by dripping a little liquid in his mouth with the straw, then putting the straw in his mouth and he'll drink. Staff does the same thing. When he does get drinking, he'll drink quite a bit.

So what happens when he can no longer figure out how to use a straw, but still seems to be thirsty? I had a conversation with the nurse at DH's memory care (I've been with her enough that I consider her a friend, so I think our conversation was realistic), and she had a couple of ideas. But I thought I'd see if anyone who's still here ever got to that point and what you did.

Comments

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

And for example when I say "drink quite a bit," yesterday he drank around 32 ounces at lunch.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Has he been evaluated by a SLP for swallowing issues?

I know my one aunt sometimes took fluids off a spoon; she could be prompted to eat and drink but would go through phases where she refused both.

• JoseyWales

No, he hasn't been evaluated for swallowing issues yet. I really think this is more of just forgetting how to drink from a straw. But that's something I'll ask about. Thanks for the idea.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,075
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

You might try an adult sippy cup. Slower volume of liquid and no sucking required.

There are a variety shown on Amazon if you search "adult sippy cup".

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,766
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hospice was frantic that we had straws. Seems they can aspirate (sp) fluid into the lungs. Sippe cup, two handles worked well.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 2023

jfkoc - Yikes, out go our straws, I guess. Hospice hasn't commented but I didn't ask either. DH has a wicked tremor and holding a cup sloshes stuff everywhere. So, I've been using straws for a while, and yet he has had a couple of aspiration episodes...did not occur to me the straws might contribute.

I was literally just watching him blow into the straw at lunch -- bubbles didn't alert him that he was doing it wrong. It's not the first time he's done that, sometimes blowing so hard he splashes the beverage on me as I hold the cup steady for him. Yep, he forgets how to use a straw too, Josey. And a couple of them are chewed on.

So, thank you for this post as it is helping me too. Sippy cups here we come.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Aspiration is a big concern. My brother got to the point where he would bite the straw or at times blow in it. When they finally took the straw away, he got very small quantities of crushed ice. The next step was nothing more than a wash cloth that was wet, but not dripping. I think he went almost 3 weeks before he finally passed peacefully in hospice.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello,

Maybe ice chips, in small amounts to keep him hydrated, and you can also make lemonade ice cubes and crush them. This is tedious, but it worked for my mom when she was under hospice care. Hope this helps, as Ive been reading your posts and admire your strength and courage.

Maureen

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

• JoseyWales

Thanks everyone for all the ideas! Interesting that hospice has never mentioned the straw to me. But then again, DH hasn't had any swallowing issues yet. I like the adult sippy cup idea. I something similar here that I think I'll take when I visit tomorrow. He might also like some lemonade slushy.

I'm still open to any other ideas!

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My DH started using a straw when he became bed-bound. The last week of his life, he forgot how to use one. I did the best I could to get liquid into him. It broke my heart....

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more