Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Something I have never seen discussed here

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

We all know there are conditions that mimic dementia, and when caught early can cause the symptoms to be a thing of the past. But one thing I've always wondered is what percentage of people being tested for dementia are found to have a condition that is treatable, and therefore dementia can be avoided? I've never seen any numbers at all on that? Does anyone have an idea? If so, are there any links you can provide?

I understand that the numbers are low, but if you find something that is treatable -- what a huge payoff!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Ed I'll dig around tomorrow and see what I can find. But you're right, it's going to be a pretty low number.

• Ed1937

Thanks, M1. I hope you find something.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I read about ten percent of dementia signs and symptoms is due to treatable causes, such as thyroid disease or vitamin B12 deficiency or other medical cause. This is low, but it's worth a shot.

Iris

• Ed1937

If it's 10%, that's more than I thought. Whatever percentage it is, it's worth checking for. How many people play the lottery all the time, but might not think the tests are worth it?

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Mayor @Ed1937 --

That's a really interesting question.

To my recollection, I am generally the only person around these parts who writes about IRL experience around a PWD who was treated and regained considerable cognition and function. My father has Wernicke-Korsakoff's which is a deficiency of B1/Thiamine. In his case it was caused by alcohol abuse but it can also be triggered by HIV/AIDS, certain cancers, eating disorders, bariatric surgery, extreme morning sickness. There is a thought that this happens in those with a genetic predisposition to the condition. I know for certain that my dad's nephew was diagnosed with it, treated and did ok-ish for a time before he started drinking again and died in his mid-50s. I suspect my sister had it in the year before she died of complications of AIDS.

I suspect those folks whose LOs had a deficiency around B12 or thyroid hormones have no need to stick around for help with the kind of caregiving the rest of us do. Had dad not also had Alzheimer's in addition to his WKS I probably wouldn't have had a need to be here.

HB

• M5M
    M5M Member Posts: 114
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

About 6-8 years ago….totally before any Alz ….DH was diagnosed with B12 deficiency. He had mental confusion, memory loss, several of “ the usual” symptoms of Alz. Doctor started him on B12 injections, now tablets daily. A very alert on-call in ER figured it out and tested for B12, his level was zero!

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I have a younger family member who experienced what they feared was EO. Turned out to be a B12 deficiency and was treated with apparently 100% return to full capacity. No signs of confusion, cognitive loss at all that I can tell.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 2023

Step-dad was diagnosed with a B12 deficiency a couple years ago. It’s being treated with monthly shots. Levels are now acceptable. Doctors feel he cannot absorb the vitamin through the tablets. However, he was diagnosed last fall with state 4 dementia via neuropsych testing. I never noticed much improvement in his symptoms once he started taking the shots. I’d be interested in how many people are found to have something treatable, are treated for that and are later also diagnosed with dementia.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Our insurance wouldn't approve the MRI until a B-12 test was done. If only the percentages were the other way around and dementia from non-treatable causes was uncommon.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Found a pretty comprehensive review that had the following interesting statistics: among 33 studies reviewed, "The reported frequency of dementia due to potentially reversible causes varies from 0 to 23%. Commonest among these causes are alcohol and medication related dementia, depression induced cognitive impairment, surgical brain lesions such as normal pressure hydrocephalus [NPH], tumors and chronic subdural hematomas, metabolic disorders such as hypothyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, vitamin B12 deficiency and central nervous system (CNS) infections such as neurosyphilis and HIV." Couldn't reproduce the table, but taking the 33 studies collectively, median rate of potentially reversible causes was 9%. However, many of these (in fact the majority) were not completely reversed, for various reasons, a lot having to do with damage already done. Here's the citation:

Tripathi M, Vibha D. Reversible dementias. Indian J Psychiatry. 2009 Jan;51 Suppl 1(Suppl1):S52-5. PMID: 21416018; PMCID: PMC3038529.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I always say the medical dementia mimics may be treatable if caught in time.

Regarding vitamin B12, absorption decreases markedly after age 50. I'm surprised that more adults are not tested for it. Vitamin pills won't help. B12 injections or possibly sublingual tabs may be absorbed.

Iris

• Ed1937

Very interesting. Thank you!

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,678
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you, also found this interesting

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife