Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Thinking I’m doing good , but not!

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

DH is always asking to go out to eat. Problem is it’s way to expensive and he orders drinks like he was still in his 20’s! He shouldn’t drink and I keep making excuses not to go. So I have the grandkids today and figure we can go for lunch and DH would be happy. Well what a disaster! I told him they don’t have alcohol and the first thing he asks for is a beer! 🤦🏻‍♀️ I try to give the waiter the no sign but not working. DH proceeds to reprimand the 3=year old for not sitting properly, gets upset because he is not sitting where he wants to, encouraging all 3 to taste his beer ( which I adamantly stopped) constantly pokes the kids with his cane saying he’s kidding and the kids get upset . What I thought would be a fun afternoon for everyone turned out terribly! The youngest said he doesn’t want to come over anymore and the others say they don’t like grandpa! Breaks my heart. Don’t know what to do.

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

If this is out of character for your DH, I would talk to the doctor about medication.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

JC, I'm sorry. I know it's hard.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Try a picnic in a nearby park or the back yard with finger foods. Make things easy on yourself.

Iris

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

There came a point when I just stopped going anywhere with my husband. At supermarkets he filled our cart with candy and cookies and fussed like a toddler when I put the sweets back on the shelves. In restaurants he invariably needed to go to the bathroom and would wander off in search of the Men’s Room, or would insist that he never ordered what was served. It was just too much of a hassle to go out. I suggest fiblets, little lies that stop the problem for the moment. You can say that you’re expecting an important phone call or that someone may be coming over or that you have a package coming and must sign for it. In a short time DH will forget what you said but you have a chance to stay put.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

JC5, I am sorry this happened and that your grandchildren were present. I would have a meeting with the grandchildren and their parents without your husband and discuss this disease with them. I would also look at the alcohol consumption. I know that going anywhere with my wife has become an increasing problem. Her thoughts are spoken out loud and she seems to have lost the ability to select what she says. Grocery shopping is very frustrating for me as her main goal is finding candy bars and cookies, I am focused on what she is doing rather than shopping. I started ordering groceries online unless I am just going for milk at the gas station. Family gatherings and reunions have not gone well this summer. Her eating habits are less than you would expect as she constantly complains out loud about the food and eats little of it. I could take some home but it a pile of partially eaten food. It appears to me that she is getting little value out of the social experience. She does not drink alcohol so that is good, but her loudness brings the attention to her.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am sorry this happened.

Some PWD don't particularly "like" kids. This is especially true if they have to compete with "their" person/ caregiver for attention. This can result in the PWD being inappropriate or unkind to the children as your husband was. My dad was a bit like this in the earlier stages before he was diagnosed and he, too, tried to frame it as "teasing" or "being funny". I stopped subjecting my much older son to him for the most part. Perhaps you should get a caregiver for DH (if needed) and see the grands without him.

HB

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 164
    100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

Tks all for your responses ! They are always helpful!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more