Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Improved Diet/Exercise

Does anyone have any success stories to report on improving their diet and increasing their exercise after their diagnoses? (I will define success as weight loss, improved mood etc)

Does anyone have any recommendations on MIND diet resources--recipes, blogs, websites, etc?

Finally, has anyone used the resources of a dietician to improve their diet?

Thanks

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome Dino. I have been using Best Practices including MIND brain-friendly diet for years. Although I must admit I have not foregone eating my share of sweets and fast foods at various times. I did manage to lose quite a lot of weight, about eighty pounds, although I have gained some back. But now that the Covid restrictions are over, I have begun to work on stabilizing my diet and exercise again. I don't have any special websites, I just read a lot of articles and adapt what I like to make it healthful. I eat a lot of raw fruits and simple foods.

Iris

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Hi Dino,

I am a pescatarian. I will eat salmon for my main protein and omega. I eat a lot of nuts, fruits and vegetables. When I was pregnant with my 1st child 35 years ago. I started to eat healthier. Then I started up running again so I had noticed my eating habits changed drastically that I couldn’t stand the smell of fried fast foods so I gave that all up.

my DH just started up together at a gym that has swimming and “blue sneakers” classes. I can say this has helped me because I can remember when I was younger that I did some of these things in the past. So I think thi this has helped me with my memory. But I agree eating healthier never changed my diagnosis. I believe getting out and enjoying the beautiful nature is important for my mood

• kamilawal
    kamilawal Member Posts: 10
    10 Comments
    edited August 2023

You can try stretching (read more here https://betterme.world/articles/wall-stretches/ ), it not only relaxes the muscles, but also allows you to focus attention on thoughts, feelings, muscles - it relaxes and improves well-being

• dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 290
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited August 2023

@Dino305 Leafy greens, and other items in a plant-based diet described by Dr. Uma Naidoo are good in general. This diet was recommended in a book by Dr. Richard Restak, "The Complete Guide to Memory". I certainly feel better with this, but can't say if it has improved things. Restak states that it is an aide that helps maintain memory, instead of boosting it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more