Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Experiment

2»

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Just Bill sorry your experiment didn’t work but you tried. That’s all we can do is try. I honestly learn so much from your posts. So thank you for sharing. Sometimes I wish my dh would do something, anything but sit with the tv going. It’s on but he can’t tell you what he is watching. He says it’s just noise, but he doesn’t want me to talk because he can’t hear the tv!

happy belated birthday Dave!

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

She was prescribed Ativan. The biggest club in the bag medwise. Since her diagnosis I go through a repetitive cycle. New symptom, call the doctor, prescribe a med, symptoms abate, adapt to her new abnormality, lather, rinse, and repeat. I always said there are a lot of meds to go through before we get to Ativan and here we are. I haven't given her one yet, they are only to be used when needed. Now that I have a tranquilizer dart I am reluctant to use it. She was hyper today but I repeated my experiment with a no nagging policy and it went better. I think it was better to use psychology today . I am grieving for her more now maybe my intuition is picking something up I don't know. Anyway my tolerance for her hyperactivity has greatly increased. I don't know if it is because I am saying goodbye to her or I don't want to use the last club in the bag yet. Today was a great day.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Just Bill,

In 2013, my husband had severe heart failure. As a result, I had extreme difficulty in keeping my emotions together (crying uncontrollable). My doctor prescribed Ativan. It made me very relaxed to the point of wanting to rest. It is what I needed at the time. I only took it if I needed it and I was able to get myself together. I am not sure how I would have managed without it. Just consider that giving the meds will help her feel better as a state of extreme agitation must be terrible.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more