Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

LONG weekend

My spouse has been in assisted living (memory care) for just about a year now. Our birthdays are both in August, and we've always taken a trip for our birthday. I checked him out, along with all his meds, and we left town, to go about an hour away. He was out of the facility maybe 27 hours. I take him out every Sunday, so it's not really unfamiliar, but man! I forgot how exhausting it is!

When the waitress comes I want to let him order if her can (we've discussed what he wants) while correcting/answering followup questions. He can still go to the bathroom, but I have to be alert when he comes out to make sure he doesn't get lost. And all the while I'm appropriately answering "oh no!" or "that's great," to statements when I have no idea at all what they mean. If I can't figure out if it's good or bad I say, "oh wow." He lost nouns pretty early, but he's lost a lot more speech in the last few months.

Our weekend went well and we had a great time, but I was so drained afterwards. I haven't cared for him full-time for a year and it was just so tiring. I have respect and admiration for you all who care for your loved one full-time.

Comments

• Sandias
    Sandias Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    edited August 2023

sandwichone - so glad your birthday weekend went well, and that you still could celebrate with your DH. It is draining taking care of someone with dementia for sure. No doubt about that.

'oh wow" sounds neutral to me, neither good nor bad. It's like saying "really?"

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

It’s great that you were able to spent the day together to celebrate your birthdays. It is real challenging to take DW out of the MC these days as she now longer understand how to get into a car but I’m planning another luncheon outing this coming Saturday to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,721
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm glad you were able to do it sandwich...my partner gets disoriented even when walking around the MC facility, if she's not in her room she forgets where it is, and if she's in her room she doesn't remember where the kitchen/dining area is. So I've been reluctant to take her out...we've been out twice in May and June for doctor's appointments, and that's about it. But I take picnics most weekends, and that has been very nice--we go outside in the courtyard to eat, weather permitting, or just eat in her room. She loves it, I bring her favorite cookies from Publix, cashews, little treats like that along with lunch and it works quite well.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm glad you both had a good time for your birthday trip. That's something else to remember that was good, even though draining for you. I hope you can do it again next year. Happy birthday to both of you.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It's a guessing game and exhausting trying to interpret what my wife is trying to say. She'll ask me a question that makes no sense whatsoever but is looking at me expecting an intelligent response and that I heard and understood her. All I can do is guess "yes" or "no" or "I don't know hon" and hope my response it is correct. If not she'll just look at me and accuse me of not listening. If I tell her I don't understand what's she's asking she'll just start crying or get mad.

She's not in MC yet but hasn't been able to find her way around the house for the last two or three years. I have to lead her by the hand to the bathroom all day long so I can't imagine how lost she would feel in an MC facility.

My mom on the other hand can be very challenging. I'll check her out of MC once a week and take her to lunch, spend time with her doggie but it's still a battle to try and take her back. She's on Zoloft now for about two weeks. She seems somewhat sedated but more confused. Maybe she just needs time to adjust. It's exhausting trying to take both my mom and wife out somewhere but for the most part is fairly uneventful.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm sorry it was so draining for you but glad you had a nice birthday for the both of you.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 748
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks to all! He was able to enjoy the outing a great deal. My philosophy is to care for the caregiver and to do what brings joy to the PWD in the moment. I know people don't remember things, but I do think there's often sort of an emotional resonance that brings joy even after the memory is gone.

I also know that there will come a time that outings will not bring joy, but rather stress both parties out. Next year perhaps we will be there--I just give thanks that this year we were able to get out and have fun.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more