Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question: Any caregivers taking Wellbutrin?

My primary care doctor prescribed Wellbutrin for me today for depression and anxiety. I really don't want to take anything that is going to work on my brain but I know I have to do something. I have one physical ailment after another and my mind is very tired all of the time. He says my depression and anxiety is causing my multiple health issues, which have all checked out as fine. It is embarrassing as I feel like a hypochondriac. I am amazed at how destructive this disease can be. I will try the meds and hope for the best.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Denise- I've taken it in the past and tolerated it well. In fact I was thinking of discussing it with my doc at my next visit. My recollection is that I was started on a lower dose and sort of eased in. Oh - I also recall that it bound me up so keep hydrated and consider a stool softener if needed.

Good for you taking care of yourself. Whether you end up taking this med, another, or going another way, you're paying attention to what your body is telling you.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Get some respite help for yourself!

Iris

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you Jeanne C. and Iris. This just creeped up on me as I thought I was doing well. It is amazing how our mind can deceive us.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Denise, I have had severe depression for years. I have taken Wellbutrin for years which has kept the suicidality and depression at bay along with therapy. A little different than your situation as a caregiver. I can't imagine where I would be as a caregiver without it. Taking medication is a very personal decision, and I understand your hesitancy.

As for medical issues, I've had joint pain due to arthritis that just seems to be increasing. Physical therapy has helped. I did make the decision to place my husband in memory care. It is like a load has been lifted. I'm feeling so much better and am able to get more things done.

I used temporary respite placement twice (2 weeks and 1 week.) The anxiety really lifted! I think there is something to be said for respite in some form to assist you. I'm wishing you the best whatever direction you decide to go.

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi Denise,

I lost my DH 3 years ago and have been on it for over a year now. I am looking into something else as it does nothing for me. I'm still looking for the Rx that stops crying.....LOL. I hope it works for you.

Michele

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi Denise,

I started it 5 years ago when my husband’s dementia was getting worse and my daughter was going thru cancer and a divorce. I think it helped and I initially lost 10 lbs which was a bonus. My daughter is better and my husband is in memory care and I have thought about stopping it but I feel good so I don’t want to rock the boat. I visit my husband every week but he doesn’t pay much attention to me when I am there and doesn’t notice when I leave. I have built up my relationship with my daughter and have made new friends who have also lost husbands or placed them. I miss my husband and the life we had but this is a new time in my life. If I should develop dementia this is how I would like my daughter care for me. I would never want to take over her life.My husband seems happy in his world but I can’t enter it so the best I can do is to watch over him and make sure he gets the best care possible.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

i am sorry you are feeling embarrassed about your real pain. It sounds like you need help for your body cope with what you are going through. I take Zoloft 25mg and it has helped me. I am not familiar with Wellbutrin but I am glad you and your primary doctors are discussing your overall health

• Denise1847

Thanks to everyone for responding to my inquiry. Hearing your stories and experience helps me tremendously. God bless you and stay well.

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

I take Wellbutrin and Zoloft. I have been on them for a couple of years as I am a military mom🇺🇸. It has helped me a lot. I am not sure how I would have handled the MCI diagnosis without it. I am 53 and have a long road ahead.

• KathyF1
    KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Denise, I take Lexapro. I have for many years but now I take twice the former dose. My doctor encouraged me to increase the dosage. If I back off I can tell. It really helps me. What all of us go through on a daily basis is so stressful. And very little time off, if any. Yes, I think you should take it! Long ago I went to a wonderful Christian counselor. She told me she thought antidepressants were Gods gift to us. She has counseled for many years and has seen the benefits to so many. That comment helped me feel good about taking it. God Bless you!!

• Denise1847

Thank you Stacey and Kathy. Your comments have given me the reassurance I need. I am hopeful it will help.

Good bless you both. Stacey, please tell your son or daughter that I thank them for their service. Truly grateful.

• CorrieG
    CorrieG Member Posts: 46
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I have taken Wellbutrin and it was great for depression and not gaining weight. It helped me focus better. However, it isn’t so great if you are generally anxious.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I take the max dose of Wellbutrin daily and although I don't notice specific changes I do think it helps by keeping certain feelings at bay. Doesn't make me feel happy or anything but it helps. Just another tool for me as a caregiver to get through the day. When I don't think it's working all I have to do is remember what I felt like before it.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I have taken wellbutrin about 25 yrs ago for smoking cessation. I don't recall any bad side effects. I took it for about 2 years and stopped cold turkey. Don't know if this is help. As they say your mileage may vary.

Stewart

• Denise1847

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I take a partial dose because I cannot tolerate the side effects of the full dose. It doesn't lessen my feelings, but it does give me some energy I otherwise wouldn't have. The energy boost makes a difference in getting through the days and being able to do some things. For me the side effects are increased muscle tension. I also have Crohn's disease and this sounds odd, but a full dose makes me prone to painful intestinal spasms. I've had difficulty finding an antidepressant I can tolerate. Wellbutrin is the only one I've been able to continue. A little help is better than nothing.

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

As well as drugs, talking therapy can really help. It got me through a depression in my Fifties, I have just made an appointment with a therapist who works with caregivers. You might give talk therapy a try before the drugs or combine the two approaches. Of course, you are upset! I know the past year has been very difficult for me emotionally and that I needed professional help.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more