Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Small mercies

I'm grateful -- really grateful for the small mercies that are features of the stage we're at now.

It sounds absolutely terrible to express it this way -- to say it out loud -- but I'm grateful that being with my wife, diagnosed with dementia and moderate Alz early this year, is not the daily, hourly horror it was even a few months ago. And it's not yet the awful struggle it will be as she slips, inevitably, toward being unable to handle the conventional activities of daily living. To calibrate: my guess is that she's somewhere around stage 5 to stage 6 on this scale: https://www.alzinfo.org/understand-alzheimers/clinical-stages-of-alzheimers/

Here's what I'm thankful for right now:

= That her devastating belligerence and caustic behavior (toward other family members and some friends, not just me) now seem to be largely behind us.

= That she's not demanding to drive -- or even asking where the car keys have gone.

= That she seems to be sleeping more.

= That she's relatively easy to distract.

= That I have a wide range of other interests and other pursuits (including running the business that my wife and I founded and she was a large part of until a couple of years ago) to engage me and give me purpose outside of caregiving.

= That I've gotten over my guilt and concern about "therapeutic fibbing." Mostly!

= That we (my wife and I) have many friends and family who have truly rallied round and stepped up with outstanding levels of help.

= That the Alzheimer's Association is such an incredible resource -- 10 miles wide and 5 miles deep.

= That I'm now getting help from a care management agency who are taking such a burden off of my shoulders.

There's much more to be thankful for, but you get the idea. Gratitude can give us some of the strength we caregivers will most certainly need to deal with the next stages of the disease.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I have always tried to find something to be grateful for on this journey as a way to keep my sanity. DW is in early Stage 7 and living in MC.

My gratitude list these days include:

• DW is well cared for and safe
    • DW is still mobile, still likes music and can still dance
    • It is relatively easy to get her to laugh
    • The support/relationship I have from family members especially my stepdaughter
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

It’s not horrible or terrible to not want our loved ones to go through more pain. We are in late stage 6 and going into 7 and every day I pray if it’s God’s will to take him before he gets worse. It’s the hardest thing I have ever done, but it’s because I love him so much.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi GTPremium,

That is a tough place to be in but I do understand. We have been married for 50 years and grew apart awhile ago, but still have had a "good enough" relationship to stay together. I think love is compassion, forgiveness and caring for another when there is no reciprocal caring possible. For me, it is commitment.

I cannot imagine being the brunt of verbal attacks all those years and then having to care for the person who has hurt you. I hope somehow you will find peace in this situation.

When we first learned my DH's diagnosis, I was very angry at him. I thought it was his fault because he is very stubborn and didn't take care of himself, including not using a CPAP for apnea. It took me awhile to realize that I was projecting my anger of the situation on to him and that had he known what would happen, he would have done anything to change it.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

GTP - small mercies is a real understatement. The things you've listed sound HUGE from here. Good for you.

I try to exist in a space of gratitude which is my nature but also very necessary to survive this hand that we've been dealt. So, I am grateful for that habit. But am not as good at stopping to intentionally focus on the specifics. And as Joe C said, that action of counting your blessings, naming them one by one is powerful. Thank you both for sharing your gratitude lists today.

Beautiful reminder that dementia (or other isms or illnesses) does not have to take both people down with it.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi GTPremium,

I am in the same situation for different reasons. Married 47 yrs. H was just someone who did not want to participate in the difficult work of marriage and parenting 12 yrs. into marriage. Tried counseling for the next five years. Promises but no follow through. I continued on with family life and career. There wasn't any reason to divorce as we each had our own lives. Ten yrs. ago H was diagnosed with AD. In my case it is duty and a gift to my living son. (I cared for three Grandparents over the years.) I had the foresight to obtain LTC for my H as his dad had dementia. I will place my H in MC next month as he cannot be left alone. I will not be sentenced to the house walking on eggshells with an angry, agitated person with anosognosia. At 69 I hope to begin rebuilding my life.

• GTPremium
    GTPremium Member Posts: 8
    5 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Comment

Congrats for your positive, forward-looking attitude, @ThisLife. I'm loving this bold, brave, affirming statement: "I will not be sentenced to the house walking on eggshells with an angry, agitated person with anosognosia. At 69 I hope to begin rebuilding my life."

Go for it. You have dealt with more -- way more -- than enough.

• cewt
    cewt Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Duty and obligation sum it up for me. While I never had to experience destructive behaviors, there is no relationship left in which to share love. So, out of the love we did share I continue out of duty and obligation. I too pray that when the time comes my dh goes easily.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more