Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

22/30 on MoCA

Hello all. After almost 2 years of trying, I finally got DH to the doc for an evaluation and he scored 22/30 on the MoCA. With this information, we scheduled an MRI scheduled for next week. I liked the evaluator - she put DH at ease and knew her stuff. DH was initially resistant, but became calm during the evaluation and was appropriate with the evaluator, indicating he understood the results and that he wanted to proceed with the MRI. Yet afterwards, at home, DH said that he thought the whole thing was a waste of time and that the test showed that he was fine. Ugh, anosognosia is so very maddening!! As I sit here and type this a few hours later, it feels super weird to finally have validation. It will take time to process the reality of what happened today - something I knew but now I really know. More information is coming, I know, but this stuff today feels big.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Hugs.

Just because you have long recognized a cognitive change, doesn't mean hearing confirmation from a professional won't rock your world. I'm sorry.

HB

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Were blood tests done to rule out dementia mimics?

Iris

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 166
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Iris - yes, we've had full medical workup completed.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so sorry Anna2022. It is really tough to get the confirmation. Do whatever you both want to do while you can. I think I really didn't grasp the journey we were on and I wish we had done more traveling.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023

(((Anna))) Hugs - I remember that day well. Both a blessing and a curse, right? It was such a relief to finally have an answer, but the answer was devastating.

I agree with Denise. In addition to "getting your affairs in order" e.g. DPOA's etc., definitely travel and/or enjoy each other as much as possible while you can. The advice received on these boards was (and is) just priceless to me and DH.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Anna, I remember the day the doctor told us he had Alzheimer’s. It felt like someone punched me in the gut! It hurts! I’m so sorry. Sending hugs.

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 166
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    edited August 2023

Thank you for your comments, kind words and insights.

And thank you for all the wisdom you have shared here - I've read as much as I could in the last two years, and have done a lot of what has been suggested: I have consulted a CELA and got good advice there; we've updated wills and have all the necessary legal documents (DPOAs, Directives, HIPPA docs, etc) in place; and I now have control of all finances, accounts, investments, bills etc. Lastly, we have a trip planned for October. I could not have known what to do without all of you.

I am also trying to live every day to the fullest, knowing a bit about what the future may hold.

Next steps? How to tell the kids who are currently estranged from DH?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more