Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Need a TV remote for dementia patients - any experience?

My DH is having great difficulty with the remote and then I have to try to figure out how to get it back to the stations we use. I have been looking online but haven't found what we need.

Anyone have experience with either a simpler remote, voice remote or Alexa for controlling the TV?

I feel so badly for my husband as he gets distraught.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited August 2023

Denise, I have no experience with this, but it might help for a while. https://flipperremote.com/

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you Ed1937.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,362
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I sincerely hope you find something that works for your DH.

The problem is that once a PWD has gotten to a place cognitively that they can't use a familiar electronic device, their memory is too impaired to learn to use even a simple replacement for it. That said, some folks have had success-- for a time-- covering most buttons in black electrical tape so the PWD only has access to power, channel up/down.

I have an amusing story about the "Brotherhood of the Traveling Flipper". Confusion around TV remotes is super common for PWD. My own dad used to spend his day on the couch with a pile of cable, TV and ceiling fan remotes on his belly along with random flip phones which he'd point in the direction as if he was fencing. My mom mentioned this at her monthly support group and one gentleman offered her his Flipper. He said his wife was too "far gone" to be able to use it, but maybe she'd be luckier. She wasn't. When she returned it the next month, 3 other members who'd also accepted it as a loaner and returned it the next month burst out laughing.

At a certain point, we set the TV for dad and left him with a remote that had dead batteries in it so he couldn't undo what we'd set up. This was around the time I put parental controls on the TV because he would conflate tragic news, weather and crime dramas as happening to him which upset him badly. It also prevented him from using the Xfinity remote to buy movies and pay-per-view events. One month my mom had a cable bill for almost $1000. Dad had ordered season passes for NBA basketball and NHL ice hockey (I've never seen him watch either sport) and bought Guardians of the Galaxy.

HB

• Denise1847

Dear HB,

Thank you for your story. You can't make this stuff up! It is amazing how simple things can cost you $1000.

I

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Denise, my husband was doing the same thing. He would get the TVs messed up I like to never got it back to where it oughta be. I got a simple remote thinking that it would really help him but it turns out he can’t figure it out. He’s just beyond being able to understand how do use it. I hope you can find something that your husband can use.

• M5M
    M5M Member Posts: 114
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Denise, look at smpltec.com.

DH was having so much trouble with the remote, this has helped immensely. It’s inexpensive, about $40, and I was able to program it with 5 channels for him. There is a help number in the instructions if you need . It is white, big black buttons so easier to see. It does not work w prerecorded programs so I tune to his favorites there for him.

they also have some other technology items.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Passed being able to use clickers here too. I do like to play nature or travel youtube videos on the tv for my DH (i use applet tv but any smart tv works too). They have calming music with beautiful videography, many lasting several hours. Even a search under “dog tv” you can find many long videos through nature with relaxing video. It’s a good option when you are trying to keep the tone and mood settled.

• Denise1847

Thank you all very much. I also am going to investigate how to use voice commands via Verizon or Alexa. However, I suspect he won't know what to say to Alexa.

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I just started hiding the remote when it became clear that he couldn't use it anymore. He was changing settings that took me some time to figure out how to correct. I simply put the TV on his favorite channels and he rarely complained.

And then there was the time that the phone started ringing and he tried to answer it on the remote.

• Denise1847

Hi Elaine,

Hiding might work. I am going to try it. My sister is also investigating how Alexa could be connected to the TV. We will see. Take care and thank you.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 454
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

We have old school cable TV. I added something called a 'purchase PIN," so DH can't accidently order anything. He ordered a pay per view sporting event at an airbnb once.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

DH no longer gets (in any sense) the remote. Initially I tried putting tape over all but the on/off and channel buttons, but he pushed down on the taped areas and kept messing it up, once so badly that I had to call the carrier's tech support for help to un-mess it. We also had issues with him occasionally ordering pay-per-view. (He did not comprehend that it would generate an extra charge on out bill.) As long as it was here or there and a small amount of money, I tolerated it. But the month it went over $100 I said enough. I called the carrier and put a block on our account so that only I, with a password, can do pay-per view. I also took the remotes away from him. That means I have to be attentive to the remotes but it is working out. We have streaming TVs, so I just set it up on a movie channel that he likes, or I oversee putting in movie DVDs, and he is happily entertained.

• cavenson
    cavenson Member Posts: 31
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

After DH accidentally ordered some movies one month, I went to Parental Controls and blocked him from ordering anything. I have Verizon, but I'm pretty sure all providers have this feature.

• Rozieglow
    Rozieglow Member Posts: 5
    Second Anniversary First Comment

Re: using Alexa - in order to use it on my Samsung TV, the mic button has to be pressed on the remote to engage it. I don't know if they all work that way. If so, it probably wouldn't be of any use since using the remote is the problem.

• Denise1847

Thank you all very much for your responses. This just another thing we have to deal with. Hubby lost his wallet this morning. However, I had an Apple luggage tracker in his wallet. Found the wallet under his pillow. They do the darnest things.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more