Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH locked me out...getting a new lock

DH has locked me out of the house twice this week which made me quite angry! I left the house for about ten minutes after telling him where I was going. When I got home, he had put on the night lock and I couldn't unlock the door. The second time I had to return his urine specimen to his Dr.s office for testing. Again he put on the night lock. I admit I didn't respond well the first time it happened but did better the second time. He said he was afraid he would doze off while I was gone and someone might come into the house...even though the door was locked...so he put on the night lock. It really hit me how vulnerable he is.

I talked to two of my sons about it and one of them has arranged for a locksmith to install a new deadbolt lock that does not have a night lock. And he is paying for it! That will help me so much. It will be one less worry off my mind. I know the cavalry isn't coming but sometimes there are acts of kindness.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023

(((White Crane))) DH locked me out a couple of times and it was no fun. Stage 5 I think. Once with a UTI, I watched him barricade himself inside, after we both were pushing on the door from our respective sides, me trying to enter our house from the garage and him on the other side making sure I could not.

That time, I ended up phoning a friend just to wait him out, as I had the keys but could not make the door budge as long as it was barricaded. After he eventually walked away, I was able to unlock the door and push it open just enough for me to get in. I was so worn out by the standoff by then, I just went to the nearest chair and sat down. He emerged from the bedroom a few minutes later, and a big smile broke out on his face -- he shocked me by saying how glad he was to see me, wondering when I had arrived, and telling me all about this lady that was trying to break in earlier (!) It had not occurred to me that he was hallucinating before. Tricky brain disease.

The other time I recall, he locked the door and went to bed. I think DH had completely forgotten he had a wife who was due back inside. It required a bit of breaking and entering on my part that time. Poor screen. Glad that he could no longer set the burglar alarm by that stage. I would not want to risk being mistaken for a burglar for real. Someone could really get hurt that way.

So sorry that happened to you, but so glad your son is helping find a solution!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,721
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Brenda I'm sorry. But not only is your son doing a kind thing--it's a safety thing too. What if he locked himself in, and couldn't get out? You are right that he is quite vulnerable. There comes a point at which even the short errands are dicey.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Brenda, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Thank God your son is coming to the rescue.

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

If you are getting a new lock installed , why not get one with a deadbolt that can be locked on the inside too. Sometimes folks want to leave the house and you will need to lock them in ( at night for example).

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Butterfly Wings, you have sure been through it with being locked out! My DH is in staged 5 currently and is having a hard time understanding things.

M1, you are right that it is a safety thing. I will be glad to get the new lock.

Thanks, Ed.

Battlebuddy, thanks for the suggestion about a lock that can be locked on the inside too.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Those types of locks are dangerous in a fire or other emergency. Some members use latches above head height because PWDs usually do not look up.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney