Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Carlog and Iris

Thank you both for your comments. Iris’s words are almost Word for Word of what came out of my friends mouth. “Get your affairs in order!!” Thank you for specifics

Carlog, my DH is now giving the okay to share the news of growing memory loss. He’s especially okay about it if LD is mentioned. We are not a part of a support group for that. But we are pretty Lyme literate, unfortunately. Dementia literate? Not so much. Question: does anyone remember your early searches for support and understanding only to find that you’ve overwhelmed yourself with too much knowledge? I’m doing this and it’s depressing me. I think I’m trying to pull the wool over my own eyes and secretly trying to find the cure, something, anything to make the pain go away. It’s emotion, plain and simple. And my emotions-a lot-are painful I need to get ahold of my own emotions better. What I got yesterday, as I listened to “IT’s Okay to not be Okay,” a book about grief. Is that grieving sucks just because it’s painful. Thank you, Jami

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Jami,

I was having great difficulty at first. I bought the Alzheimer's books, started to read them and couldn't deal with it. I cried alot and just couldn't get myself to stop. I went to a counselor and it really helped. The thing is that the grief will continue to cycle through your emotions and it is difficult to stop. I finally resorted to an antidepressant and am hoping that helps.

Please reach out for help as it makes a world of difference to get the right emotional support.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jami, I don't remember what I wrote, but I'm glad it was helpful. The member who made the big documentary (I can't recall her name) mentioned something that I thought would be a great motto.

"Until there's a cure, there's community!"

This online community fills in the gaps.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney