Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Wandering around the house

Last night I meditated after a really rough day trying to calm my wife down. I had an epiphany. She is content. I was driving myself crazy trying to get her to sit still. Today has been great. I barricaded the kitchen and she is respecting the barrier. My office door is closed but other than that she is free to wander and grab whatever she wants. Right now she is wandering the house randomly grabbing objects. I have left her alone and she is genuinely happy doing this. The strange part is she is totally content to wander around with one shoe on and one shoe off. It would bother me to the point of taking both shoes on or taking both off. That tells me her brain is disconnected from her body. The one shoe thing is a new normal that started a few days ago. She also changes shirts all day. I had a dog that had dementia and symptoms started by her walking counterclockwise the perimeter of the yard. Then what ever space she was in the counterclockwise walking the perimeter is all she wanted to do. I would stop her call her name and look into her eyes and they were vacant she had to continue her counterclockwise turns. She would also get stuck between the chair and the wall. In a lot of ways that is what my wife is going through right now. It isn't even a thought. The need to patrol the perimeter is an impulse she has no control over. She seems content to do this so I let her continue and right now we are both happy. She can't help patrolling but I can stop trying to get her to stop and there is the peace for now.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I feel such relief on your behalf. I'm glad you found a balance.

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I love your ability to roll. I am learning.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so glad that you are finding peace. It is so stressful. I have learned to let alot go.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more