Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bible Verse to Lift You Up 8/14/23

VKB
VKB Member Posts: 323
Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

COMMANDMENT OF LOVE

BIBLE REFLECTION

Matthew 22:36-40 (ERV)

“He said, ‘Teacher, which command in the law is the most important?’

“Jesus answered, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and most important command. And the second command is like the first: ‘Love your neighbor the same as you love yourself.’ All of the law and the writings of the prophets take their meaning from these two commands.”

What kinds of things has your love for God motivated you to do for others?

MEDITATION

When we love God with our whole heart and want to obey Him, Holy Spirit nudges and encourages us to love and care for the people in our lives. Here are just a few ways we can express our love for others:

--remembering to use the words please and thank you

--listening again and again to the antidote they’ve

told at least a hundred times

--taking a deep breath and counting to ten before

speaking when our patience wears thin

--just smiling as our eyes meet theirs

--remembering, this too shall pass

--desiring to share joy even as every bone in our bodies

ache with tiredness

--reaching up to God with this simple prayer offered

under our breath… “Come, Lord Jesus! Be present in this moment.”

YOUR JOURNAL

What loving words or actions seem most important for today? How will you accomplish them?

TODAY’S PRAYER

Lord of Love, thank you for this New Commandment in Your Word. As I strive to obey You, show me how to let Your love shine through my smile, my eyes, and my hands. Make me obedient, and bless me with the gift of patience, especially when mine runs thin. Gracious God, show me how to be compassionate this day and every day. I pray in the name of Him who gave His life for me. Amen

Comments

• STNDFRM
    STNDFRM Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Thank you.

My DH is unable to separate his politics from his church going. Therefore, we stopped going several years ago. I need the CHURCH. Whereas for him it isn't important. I recently returned to church by myself.

I Cor 16:13. Stand Firm.

• VKB
    VKB Member Posts: 323
    Legacy Membership 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

STNDFRM, Thanks! So very glad you went back to church. We need each other, and I'm glad my friends and I from church do not talk politics. Phew! Please continue to write here. Hugs!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

" Politics affects community life—our towns, our cities, our states and our country. Churches filled with Christians have a right to be concerned about where politics takes our nation.

The church has a spiritual ministry of bringing men and women into a right relationship with one another as well as with God. The church is not preaching the whole Gospel unless it emphasizes righteousness in our daily living through salvation found only in Christ. The common life of humanity is part of the church’s concern because it is part of God’s concern; and in these days, especially, it is important that people should be reminded that all life—political, social, economic and industrial—must be subject to the laws of God. This is why Christians need to be involved in who governs our nation and how its laws impact the future."

Billy Graham

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney