Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Community to talk with

Thanks Iris. I am finding myself going to alz… To check and see if anyone wrote to me. I take that as a sign of investing in community. I’m scared and angry and confused myself. My DH seems to be more confused lately, not remembering things he remembered two weeks ago. Although there are questions about his health and decline all I can think about is myself, my loss, my requirements, my doubt that I can manage this. Sigh

Comments

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023

Hi,

Not sure what stage you're in with this, but boy can I ever relate. I often can't quite tell who I'm crying for; for DW and the increasing confusing I'm seeing and how terrible it must be for her to still be mostly there and able to recognize she's losing her ability to figure things out. Or me, and the real grieving I'm already doing recognizing that this is really happening and my life has already changed so much and there is still a road ahead. We are experiencing a huge loss, Jami. Maybe we can both try to give ourselves a break for working through the earlier parts of this new reality for us, and that grief and fear is the proper reaction. I'm trying to breathe, have some conversations with myself, and getting up each day to start again. Big hugs.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023

Dear Forum Mates - I don't know if you have seen this link on the ALZConnected Resources tab, (Solutions Center) above - but maybe it will help to input your zip code and see if there is anything or anyone that interests you. https://www.communityresourcefinder.org/

As lonely as this road feels, we are not alone. Thank goodness for this online community. I hope your day has more peaceful moments than not.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Figuring out things and dealing with losses is what we have to do. No one else knows better than our cybermates!

Iris

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Welcome Jami and Cindy. I can understand these griefs and loss. Cindy you hit the nail on the head BREATHE. I learned that can really help.

We are all in this together. Keep posting and reading. Watch Teempa Snow or careblazers videos to learn. I found them very helpful early on. Ask anything here, you will find a kind ear to listen.

Stewart

• Jami Boyle
    Jami Boyle Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Good morning fellow caregivers. Thank you for these empathetic words. Cindy, your comment about giving ourselves a break hits home. I also think your sharing about tears helped paved the way for me to receive that wisdom. Empathy first. Wisdom second. And then Butterfly’s link to a resource. I live in NH and honestly-and especially after Covid shutdown-numbers are disconnected, websites seem too complicated to navigate, nobody is calling me back. TEARS. I left 2 teary messages with two places and finally got a call back. It wore me out. Today I’m taking a break, starting with reading in bed against the backdrop of morning rain and Thunder, coffee beside me. Right now I’m content. And I’m starting to feel a connection with this virtual group. Thank you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more