Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

“Make friends with grief”

Jeff86
Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Yesterday was a hard day. I attended a memorial services for a work colleague who took his life two weeks ago, ending his suffering from major depressive disorder. A devastating loss of a wonderful, gentle man, only 42 years old, who left behind a wife and two young children.

The pastor offered a couple of thoughts that are relevant for those of us who are in the AD caregiver trenches.

The first is to make friends with grief. We can’t get around it or avoid it and it doesn’t go away. So we have to learn to live with it. This is the ambiguous loss and anticipatory grief that Pauline Boss has written about with such profundity.

I say of grief that it always walks with me. Sometimes a step or two behind me, sometimes a little in front of me, and sometimes right by my side. It is always present.

The second takeaway from the service of relevance is no what-ifs. No torturing ourselves with thoughts of what if I only did this or that, if I tried this medication or tried that doctor.

All the psychiatrists and medicines and ECT treatments couldn’t save my colleague and friend from his mental illness. And all of our love and caregiving cannot and will not save our LOs from the devastating progression and ultimate fatality of AD.

So, fellow caregivers, be kind to yourselves. We are all doing the best we can in a losing battle. And if you find it hard to make friends with grief, perhaps you can make peace with it.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

That's a powerful post, Jeff. Thank you.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023

Thank you Jeff! So true.

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Very wise words, all of them. Thank you for posting this, Jeff.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,361
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your colleague. Thanks you for taking the time to share this post.

HB

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff I am sorry for your friends loss, I have known to many that found death the only peace they could find. It's hard is all I can say.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,721
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sad Jeff. Sounds like the speaker/pastor gave a very thoughtful speech. Thank you for this.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,675
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. Depression is another hard disease, for those living with it and those that love them. My dad fought this battle and lost it too. Thinking of all of you.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff so sorry to hear about your friend! Thank you for sharing what the pastor said about grief. They are words to ponder for sure.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeff,

I am sorry for the loss of your friend. The officiating pastor was wise, indeed, and you are so right about his thoughts/advice being relevant to AD caregivers. I’d like to think that variations on those themes helped me to navigate over the past 13 years. I’ve often said that I have grieved the loss of DH, little by little, since his initial diagnosis in May, 2010. Along the way, I hoped for the best, but planned for the worst. And for as long as I’ve known DH, I was always determined that, however long (or short) we were together, at the end there would be no regrets. We were in no way the stuff of a Hallmark movie, but he was my first, last, and only true love and I miss him with every fiber of my being. But I eased into losing him and found peace along the way. Know that I am thinking of you, Jeff, and everyone still traveling this heartbreaking journey. There is life after Alzheimer’s.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more