Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Feeling short tempered today

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

One of those days where I’m annoyed with just about everything DH says and does! Last 3 days of rain and spent each day thinking of things to keep him busy while still trying to do house chores. Every other sentence was I don’t know what to do. We went for rides we watched TV, one more ION crime show repeat and I’ll kill the TV! Let’s have breakfast , took him for lunch, went to visit his sister! Today beautiful breezy . After food shopping gave him linch. He turns on his NCIS and I go to sit on deck. Quiet peaceful until he rolls out the TV to watch his show outside with me 🤦🏻‍♀️ So of course he gets upset when I suggest we just sit and talk. Yikes! Sorry another rant but I know you all are listening Thanks

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Been there, have the tshirt 😉

Hang in there, JC. We get it.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

We all have those days JC. I think it's normal to get annoyed every once in a while, particularly when we do this 24/7. "And this too shall pass" has become my mantra.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

It is so difficult to deal with it every day. You would have to be a saint to not lose it once in awhile.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,361
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Lack of empathy-- defined as the ability to understand and/or honor the feelings and/or preferences of others--doesn't get enough recognition as one of the saddest parts of this disease.

HB

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

i only wish that my husband would watch ANY tv program. Id be happy to record and play it 10 times a day if he would sit there and enjoy it. Instead, he paces around, does a few manageable chores like sweeping the deck, and has literally nothing to occupy his time. Any gardening or yard work, which he used to do last year is off the table now.

I once took care of a woman with stage 6 ALZ. She was obsessed with The Sound Of Music. watched it at least twice a day. We were so grateful as her caregivers each time we heard Do A Deer!

There must be something in the air this week, as i have also run out of patience and cant seem to re fuel.

Sharing the frustration,

Maureen

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

JC, I am there with you. The incessant questions, the following me around, the expectation that I will entertain him constantly are really getting to me. It is so hard to keep it together some days. Try to hang in there and hope that tomorrow will be better -- or at least different.

• GG06
    GG06 Member Posts: 92
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

@JC5 Thank you so much for your post! I can't tell you how many I read and say, "Me too!" It gives me such a sense of relief, and I guess feeling of camaraderie, knowing there are other people experiencing the same daily grind of this disease. Keeping my husband occupied is one of my top stressors. He always wants to go out, loves to be around people, but he is so socially inappropriate that I don't like going out in public with him. I love the visual of your husband wheeling the tv out to the deck! I can totally relate, and it gave me the best laugh. Hang in there and remind yourself you have so many with you in spirit high fiving you for the awesome job you are doing.

• Howaboutnow
    Howaboutnow Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

For me, the stage we are in is suffocating. There is no “off” switch to the constant following, needing proximity, repetition, mood swings, toileting issues,,,all of it looping everyday. Saying, “ i need some space for a bit” of course doesn’t work. Walking to another room doesn’t work. Holding his attention with TV doesn’t work. Of course we understand they have no control over it. But we are human, and we cannot have the expectation that we can sustain 100% tolerance 100% of the time in a reality that is 100% upside down. I hope we can all give ourselves grace when we need it most. With the lack of insight and empathy from our LO’s, we need to be able give it to ourselves cause it’s not coming from our LO. I say that, and i believe it, but I’m not usually successful at it. I pretty much settle with feeling like crap most of the time.

• Palmetto Peg
    Palmetto Peg Member Posts: 189
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

I totally feel your pain! My DH follows me around, interrupts me no matter what I am doing, including being on an important phone call. And, of course, whatever he has to say is always about him. I am having a total knee replacement on August 28, and he is going to be my caregiver. Wonder how that is going to work out? I may end up bopping him on the head with my walker!!!! We just have to try to find a little time alone to regroup. Fortunately, he falls asleep earlier than I do, and I treasure even 30 minutes of silence. No one can possibly understand this unless they have been through it. We hear you!!! ((((Hugs))))

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 164
    100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

Thank you all for your support and reminding me I am not the only one!

• Sometimes overwhelmed
    Sometimes overwhelmed Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

I'll second (all of) that! Today has been one of those down days, where the energy and patience that I have available to meet all of today's care.giving needs and interactions just isn't enough for the requirements. When I'm doing chores, DH is following me everywhere and continually asking: "Can I help you?, Can I help you", when the reality is that he can't. His ability to do chores has steadily declined to the point that I'm just completely out of new ideas for chores that he actually can do, without frustrating both of us.

TV only holds his interest for a while.

Hang in there.

• Sometimes overwhelmed
    Sometimes overwhelmed Member Posts: 9
    First Comment

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia