Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Disability or unemployment

Hi. I’m new here. My husband was diagnosed with cognitive loss in June. He was “laid off” a week ago. They will be starting Leqembi when I get him on my insurance. I dont

know if he should file for unemployment or try to get disability. He is 67 and I sent in for Medicare part b. Not sure what to do next

Comments

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    edited August 2023

If he’s 67, I’d have him file for his social security. If his full retirement age is 67, I don’t think he’s eligible of SSDI as if you are on SSDI at age 67 it automatically switches to social security. It may be earlier than planned, but searching for a job while having cognitive loss is problematic. Realistically, could he learn the ropes of a new job if he were to be hired?

Adding him to your medical insurance should be straightforward as a job loss is a qualifying event. You might want to pay for COBRA until the new insurance kicks in if there is a gap.

This is a great place to look for guidance on this journey. Welcome! I’m glad you have found it, but sorry you need it.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Does he have any sick leave due?

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia