Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rapid Progression

Has anyone experienced a rapidly progressing diagnosis of dementia/Alzheimer's following a major surgery with General anesthesia? My DH began exhibiting "noticeable" symptoms about 6-7 weeks after his surgery. That was 10 months ago. He is now in Memory Care.

Comments

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,012
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Grandma Sandy, my husband’s doctor told us that general anesthesia can cause more rapid progression of dementia. It doesn’t necessarily happen with everyone. That’s why we opted to try to prevent gallstones through diet rather than having his gallbladder removed.

• Grandma Sandy
    Grandma Sandy Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Likes

ImMaggieMae . . . I feel you may have made a good choice. None of the doctors along the way told us this. My husbands surgery was hip replacement. It wasn't an emergency. In looking back, I wish we would have delayed it and/or looked for an alternative. Thanks for your insight.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sandy, I'm sorry that caused such a rapid decline. It's too bad you weren't part of this forum before the surgery. This is something that is mentioned quite frequently. Before a surgery is performed, people should be made aware of the possible decline by doctors. Unfortunately that is something they are not required to do. Hospital delirium is another thing they should mention, especially if the patient is older. But that usually fades with time.

• Grandma Sandy
    Grandma Sandy Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Likes

Ed1937 . . . . yes, I wish I had been part of the forum before surgery . . . but at that time, the need was not present. Dementia/Alzheimer's was not on our radar. Too bad such insight is not out there in the general public. Thanks

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,721
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Could be true, true, and unrelated GS. No way to know and I wouldn't second guess yourself about consenting to the surgery. Arthritic hips are very painful, so there may not have been a good alternative.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

"Arthritic hips are very painful". Yes they are, I had that done about 8 years ago. Best thing I ever did. You should never have guilt about that.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more