Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Jekyll and Hyde

Today was a tough one; my beloved was sweet one minute and mean the next all day long. Couldn't remember the code to get in the house-even when I told it to him he had to ask twice more so he could put it on the whiteboard. Told me the strawberries he was eating were really good-they were blueberries. I said yes they looked really good in the store. A few minutes later he told me how good the blueberries were. Didn't notice a car when he was backing up until I spoke up. Walked slowly, drove slowly. Is this typical of dementia/ALZ? We see his neurologist at the end of the month so I documented the day.

Hope tomorrow is better.

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Deb, I am so sorry about your DH. Unfortunately, yes what you are describing is typical. My DH side swiped my sister's car parking next to it. He swore he didn't do it and I was in the car and witnessed it. You need to get him to stop driving as he could hurt someone and himself. Is it possible he could have a UTI since these symptoms sound like they have come on suddenly. A UTI will cause a person to be way out of sorts.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I have to agree with Denise. "Didn't notice a car when he was backing up until I spoke up." If it had been a kid instead of a car, and you weren't with him, would he have run him over? You really have to be careful with this stuff. One mistake could cost you dearly, and you could be sued for allowing him to drive with dementia.

The suggestion that a UTI could be responsible is also a good one. It's always worth having them checked for it, while asking for a culture on the specimen. If there is an infection, the culture will tell them which antibiotic will work best.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,764
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Any "sudden" change means a check for an UTI with culture. Left untreated these can become very serious.

If your husband cannot remember the code to write down, then he will not remember it when he is outside and truly should no longer be outside by himself.

And...he must stop driving. The liability could cause you to lose everything.

I realize that you do not want to read any of the above but then we do not want this disease either that takes away so much.

Please do keep a journal in order to get information to the neurologist before your appointment. Take a copy with you as well and when you check in be certain the Dr has time to read your report.

A Final word....there will be days that are harder than others. I could say more challenging but truthfully, they are just harder.

We here are living alongside dementia or have lived alongside of it. We understand and are here for you.

-Judith

• Deb2322
    Deb2322 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment

Thank you all! I was not aware of the UTI connection and that is interesting because today he told me his urine was bright yellow. I will check this out further.

We had a great discussion about what I have observed and what he sees as just memory. He also admitted to having some balance issues which are new. I have been documenting everything and will take to the appointment. We talked about implementing changes to keep him safer. I am hopeful the doctor will be able to help me with the driving discussion.

I am so grateful to have a community💜

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney