Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

VA question: re the term "catastrophically disabled"

Hello,

Ive been following some of the threads regarding VA benefits, and am making slow progress. Does the "catastrophically disabled" benefit only apply to a vet with a service connected disability?

Any guidance from the community would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Maureen

Comments

• mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    edited August 2023

gampiano - I’ve been looking into this issue too. It’s my understanding that the catastrophic disability is not required to be service-connected in order to be moved up to the Priority 4 level for healthcare benefits. Form 10-0383 is to be completed to request this status (available on the VA website). My husband was in the Marines but did not serve during wartime and received no injuries related to his service, so he doesn’t qualify for aid-and-attendance benefits, etc. He is quickly declining with Alzheimer’s and receives all of his medical care through the VA, with co-pays. For his condition to be deemed a “catastrophic disability” and be moved to Priority 4 level he will need to meet certain ADL criteria (he’s very close now). Once at that level, co-pays will not be incurred for medication, dr. visits, home-based care, etc., but there may be a co-pay for in-facility care (long-term care) based on income. DISCLAIMER: this info is based only on my online research. I haven’t discussed this with anyone at the VA yet. I’ll be interested to read any responses here from someone who has gone through this process for their LO.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,721
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I have no personal experience with this, but I remember one member who was successful at getting this designation for her DH and it did not require service connection. You might have to really search old threads because it was back last year before the site format changed. but it should be there, perhaps someone else will remember.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

thank you for that information. I will search for that form and print it out, and contact the VA agent here.

So helpful!

Maureen

• gampiano

mommafour,

I think we are in the same place.

I will get right on this, and thank you so much.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

no it does not have to be a service connected disability. I found this article that explains it. They are placed in Category 4 if they have no service connected disability rating. If the veteran served in Vietnam and was exposed to Agent Orange, you can file a claim for ALZ or Dementia. The NIH did a study and found that veterans exposed to agent orange are 50% more likely to develop Alzheimer's or Dementia. It's not on the presumptive list but you can file a claim. The VA rates monthly disability compensation for dementia as 0, 10, 30, 50, 70, or 100%, depending on the severity of your condition and how much your condition interferes with your ability to function on your own. Find a Veteran Service Officer in your County (not at the VA). They are paid by the county or city. You can find them at American Legions or VFW's. https://issuu.com/odva/docs/vets_news_magazine_issue_3/s/1250

• gampiano

SDianeL,

Thank you for this article. I am so grateful.

Maureen

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023

I am attaching a couple of links here, then signing off for a bit having already ranted once today, regarding deleted threads and broken links. It seems to be a reality of the website transition. I can't call it an upgrade if indeed years of posts, memories, research, and links were simply discarded.

I did pull a couple of the threads that remain, from when I and others went through this process successfully, but even the links to other threads that we embedded in those posts, are redirecting to error messages. Grr. And unbelievable for a memory-caregivers and dementia sufferers' go-to organization and forum.

*Correct, no service connection necessary for Catastrophically Disabled status and documentation of a dementia diagnosis was really all we needed. We also had his current Dr. sign off on an ADL/IADL status.

FYI, the VA promises a 30 day decision from application date. (For us it took 90 days, not counting the 8-9 mos prior, following guidance from various VA and VA-adjacent helping orgs directing me to pursue a totally different path, which was a wild goose chase for us, but may apply to you. i.e.; In addition to Cat. Dis Priority Health designation, you or your spouse "may" be eligible for a pension and aid & attendance benefits including spouse/caregiver benefits. My DH was not. Service connection and also wartime service dates and deployment details apply. But I did get him his Cat. Dis, Priority 4 designation for his VA Health benefits, which is huge.

1.Here is a link to a fillable pdf file of the form you need to submit https://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/10-0383-fill.pdf ,

2.Here is the VA.gov page with more info on that form, and a direct link (above). Click the image below:

3.Here is a 1.5 page explanation of the Catastrophically Disabled benefit. Click on the image below to access. I hope this helps.

• gampiano

Butterfly Wings,

Thank you for spending your valuable time helping me. I have the form now, and have called our local VA agent, who, fortunately , has an office in my neighborhood. He is on board,and i've actually had an in person visit with him. Hopefully we can expedite things. If not for the wonderful folks on this forum, I would not have known what to look for. So grateful.

Maureen

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney