Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New website shock

Hello to my friends who are still here AND new friends. Wow, I see in my profile I have earned the 10 year badge, and sadly, I don't know where those years of posts went.

I know I haven't posted since? Lol, on the old website. After DH passed away in June 2019, I stayed active in the Facebook Christian caregiver support group ElaineChem started. We are still there.

I have kept in touch with a few members from here. Life keeps going, doesn't seem like 4 years and seems longer some days.

I started a sporadic blog in 2021, then didn't post to it in 2022. Now, August 2023, I am picking it up again. I was hoping to "pull out the Alzconnected photo albumn" of posts and I see God's hand in the process of not being able to read them. I am so thankful that I still have an account and personal badges.

I will not promise to be here often, but, I am still praying for a cure. The new medications are promising hope.

I made my email public for any alz friends. I am on Facebook, and manage our local non profit Facebook page:Camden County Alzheimer's Project.

quits (LaQuita)

💜💜💜

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome back, LaQuita! All online and community support is great. With this new format we lost all but two years of threads. So we're starting over. I hope you can still visit.

Iris

• quits
    quits Member Posts: 2
    Tenth Anniversary First Comment

Thank you Iris! I hope you are doing well! I guess that means I haven't checked in for more than two years. Change is inevitable.

quits

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello stranger! I'm glad to hear that you are staying busy. I can't believe it's been four years already. Please stop by whenever you feel like it to connect again.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Hello quits! I was offline for a time as well due to a catastrophic series of events. Like you, I was shocked at the lost posts but at least found the last 2-3 years worth which was such a relief. I used the "search function" and left the "topic" and other fields blank, just populating the "author" field to filter when searching. Though I am heartbroken for those many posts that were lost, at least I was able to find some, and have copied and pasted them in case these go missing as well.

Both the lifesaving, sanity saving outreach from our forum mates and my own feelings and often urgent experiences, was documented here. I know we believed, and needed this forum website to be a safe space which includes protecting and preserving what is posted to the best of the organization's ability. So, I will say here that I think it is shocking, appalling and unacceptable if there truly was no effort made to preserve these posts and memories. Especially given the nature of our situations, as the other half of a couple, friendship or other relationship devastated by memory loss.

I would think an extraordinary priority would have been placed by the Alzheimer's Association of all organizations, on ensuring our entries and priceless memories, epiphanies, shared strength and compassion, and personal reflections would be safe. Not erased. I feel like a cyber-dementia victim. I wish a message had gone out to all members urging them to save any posts they may want to access later, in the event they would not transition to the new website format. Maybe that kind of communication did go out to members. If so, I did not get it somehow.

Glad you posted this. Perhaps something can be done to "find" the years of missing posts that really should have been safely archived prior to allowing or risking deletion during an upgrade. Try the search function and use your prior member name in the author field to find some of your posts, at least.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

My goodness; it is Quits! It is good to hear your voice and I remember so much of those busy days of times gone by. How are you personally doing now?

Yes; when the new Platform was put into place, we did indeed lose most of the old Posts which was too bad as there was SO much valuable information.

You seem to be busy with all the new dynamics with others; that sounds good. Do you still do crafting or creating of things?

I know you cannot be here often, but do drop in when you can to let us know how you are and to do a bit of catching up. Thank you for letting us know you are thinking of us.

Big hug being sent your way,

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

BW, they did make a thread explaining that they would keep 2 years of posts. But like you, I feel there were an awful lot of posts with excellent information that were lost. It's a shame.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more