Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Diagnosis Process

Hello, I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, but I am sure I have something. Can anyone tell me what the diagnosis process will be like? My initial consult won't be until October 25th and I am wondering what tests I will go through on that date and any follow-ups after that.

Thank you in advance,

Jim

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome, Jim. The diagnosis of Alzheimer's Disease and the other dementias is a "rule-out" diagnosis, after ruling out the many medical dementia mimics. An evaluation includes

--a thorough history and physical examination; is there a history of head trauma; is there a history of major depression

--blood tests to look for vitamin deficiencies or hormonal disorders or chronic illnesses

--CT or MRI to search for tumors or evidence of stroke

--extensive neurocognitive testing to determine the extent of cognitive decline

--evaluate current prescribed and over the counter medications for cognitive side effects

--overnight sleep study to evaluate for sleep apnea

--other tests as directed by the history or other findings.

The alz.org site has a section on diagnosis with a checklist of questions to as the doctors. Some of the above tests will be done by the PCP, others will be ordered by a neurologist.

Keep a list of your symptoms and for how long you have noticed. If possible, bring a trusted person to give an additional perspective and to help you remember what is said at the appointment.

This is all I can think of now. Are you still working?

Iris

• jeaamom4
    jeaamom4 Member Posts: 15
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments

Hi, I am also new to this chat. I am 61 and having all the symptoms listed on every site I can research. I work full time and am having a really hard time keeping up. My dementia doc appointment is this week, so I will print out the questions mentioned. I have a progressive autoimmune disorder called Sjogren's Syndrome which is known to cause significant Brain fog and fatigue. I would like to learn what the difference is between the 2. I had neuropsych testing done last summer and was diagnosed mild cognitive impairment.

My biggest concern is, if I am found to have early onset Alzheimer's how do I get medical/health care coverage? I am married and our household income is too high for me to qualify for Medicaid. My husband just turned 65 so he is covered through Medicare.

thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

• Iris L.

Welcome, Jeaamom. I am going to start a new thread for you because your question is different from this topic. Look for your name.

Iris

• Kilroy 23
    Kilroy 23 Member Posts: 3
    First Anniversary First Comment

Hello Iris,

Thank you for your response. I am not working at the moment. I semi-retired two years ago, with the thought of starting my own business, helping people get out of debt and become financially secure.

I find it very difficult to understand items I read or follow instructions on new products. I have to read them two or three times, and I often forget them in the next few hours. Obviously, this makes it difficult to run a business.

Looking back, I feel my symptoms started four years ago, but have really progressed in the last year. I have every symptom listed for Alzheimer's, but I understand it could be something else that mimics the disease. My grandmother and three of her five kids had ALZ. We suspected the other two were showing signs of it, but they died fairly young from other issues before they could be diagnosed.

I started reading a book by Dr's. William Shankle and Daniel Amen and they mentioned a test called SPECT (Single photon emission computed tomography). This is a nuclear medicine technique that shows the blood flow in the brain, and can help diagnose ALZ earlier. Have you heard of this test? Has the test shown success?

I thank you again for your reply and the support from this group!

Jim.

• Iris L.

Yes, Jim, I am familiar with Dr Amen and SPECT. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how SPECT fits into a dementia diagnosis. There was a book called The Alzheimer's Action Plan by Dr Doriswamy that went into specifics about the diagnostic process. The book is about 15 years old now. You might see if there are newer editions.

I have trouble retaining what I read. I can understand everything, but I cannot retain. I have learned not to force myself into things that I know I will already have trouble with.

You might read about work accommodations to make things a bit easier until you have more information about yourself from the doctors. Look at askjan.org

Iris

• BadMoonRising
    BadMoonRising Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I haven't heard of anyone having a SPECT. My understanding is that the major players to confirm Alzheimer's are PET scans for excessive Amyloid, Tau or having CSF tested (spinal tap). But I believe that serum testing has either been approved or is on its way to approval.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more