Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

An off topic feel good story

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

A family member had his car hit while he was in a parking lot. Damage was pretty minor. He went to get two estimates locally. First estimate was $927. Second was $855.

He also had a few very minor paint scrapes on his car along with a few minor scratches, both in a different area that had been there for a while. He asked for an out of pocket estimate on that, telling them it didn’t need to be perfect, but would like it to be presentable.  First estimate was $100, and the guy said he’d see what he could do, but don’t expect perfection. On the second estimate, the woman who was the manager of the body shop told him to sit in the office while she tried something. About 10 minutes later, she called him to look at it. It was next to perfect! Asking her what he owed, she said with a smile “Nothing. You got the benefit of my magical hands”.

So when he left, he went to Target, where he saw a cashier who obviously had cancer. She was nothing but skin and bones, and had no hair. He thought how hard it had to be for her to work, and assumed she really needed the money since she was working. Since he had $100 put aside for the body work, he simply gave it to her, saying she needed it more than he did. She was dumbfounded, thanked him, saying nobody ever did anything like that for her before.

When he took his car in to have the damage fixed from the accident, he told the manager of the shop what happened, and stressed it was all from her, since she didn’t charge for the other repair. She started crying, and told him that he made her day.

So because she was so kind, it made 3 people a little happier - the young lady with cancer, the family member, and she herself since she found out that she inadvertently helped someone who needed help. She is a special kind of person, and will have our family’s business if needed again. I witnessed the whole thing.

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thank you, Ed! We can all get along in this world if we are kind to one another. Love this.

Maureen

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you so very much Ed; that touches me deeply; what a wonderful experience to be part of.

J.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Goosebumps, in an awesome way...thanks for sharing, Ed. Let's pay it forward!

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

When my son was about 2 (he turned 47 yesterday), he was eating dinner and suddenly started crying inconsolably. It was clearly an issue with a tooth, a tiny cavity, possibly an exposed nerve. It was a Saturday night; I knew I’d have to wait until Monday, if I was lucky, to get him relief. In desperation, I took a chance and called our Dentist at home. He suggested putting something in the tooth ( a tiny wad of gum, some soft cotton) to block the nerve until he could treat him. Knowing that procedure was futile, I hunkered down for a 24-48 hour scream fest. Within 10 minutes, the Dentist called me back. He was “running to the store by his office for ice cream”; could I meet him there? He fixed the tooth in no time, never intended to “go for ice cream” and refused to bill me for services rendered. Sadly, he has long since passed; his son maintains the practice and is just as kind and giving as his dad. Kindness matters!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more