Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Recent changes with DH

For the past week or so I've been noticing increased confusion, anxiety, and agitation with my husband (64, FTD, stage 5). Some depression too, I think. He has been confabulating more. He's been much more emotional (including a couple of instances where he was very maudlin and talking about dying). More instances where he's been speaking like a child. And his anxiety is more frequent (you can tell bc he starts breathing heavily, almost panting). Today, while at daycare, his agitation became more aggressive- he took game pieces from another client, threw them, and then told the program director "what are you going to do about it."

I thought it might be a UTI, but after a visit to the ER earlier this week, I've learned it's not. They suggested that it's progression of his dementia. I have a follow-up with pcp on the 5th and plan to talk to his memory care NP when she's back from vacation on Monday.

I wanted to ask if you have had experience with seemingly sudden change like this? Should I just expect these types of shifts or is it time for a med adjustment?

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Jeanne,

Our doctor just prescribed Zoloft for my DH. It will take 2 weeks to kick in but may help the situation.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Sounds like time for med adjustment to me. I'm sorry, every little downward step hurts.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

If it’s not a UTI, a med adjustment is probably needed. My DH has been going through some changes with agitation and nervousness too. He has been feeling cold in the evening and covering up with warm blankets from around 5:00pm til around 8:00. We keep the thermostat at 82, so it isn’t cold in here. In fact, he’s sweating under the blanket. We’re making some small med changes and going from there. He had been doing so well for about a year and a half. Everyone has such different reactions to meds. And some take a while to see any effect. It seems to be trial and error in most cases. I wish you the best.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DH has bv FTD stage 5-6. Three weeks ago he went to the ER after calling the police on me, saying I was an intruder in our house. The ER checked him out and said that it is a progression of the disease. They suggested putting him in a long term care facility. I wasn't ready for this suggestion. They said to bring him back if I change my mind.

My DH just had an appointment (1 week ago) with a geriatric psychiatrist who put him on 2 mg of risperidone. Am waiting to see if it helps with the symptoms.

• GG06
    GG06 Member Posts: 92
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Hoping you both got some good sleep last night Jeanne. I can't remember, is he on any anti-anxiety meds? Sertraline (Zoloft) has been a huge help for my husband's anxiety and depression (which has resolved).

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jeanne my dw has gone thru some changes in the last several months. Crying, anxiety, so for the last few months we've been on a med search to find one to help. She went from almost a max dose of Lexapro to Prozac, in that time she didn't get better and a withdrawal symptom from the Lexapro was she nearly stopped all her eating. So we stopped the Prozac and started a intermediary buspar which seemed to work great except it did cause drowsiness. After one week of that we are now on zoloft. We are also dealing with her left leg swelling badly,her feet had been swollen but her left leg saw a big increase so much so her already 3 sizes to big shoes now didn't fit the left foot. So now we are trying a second diuretic. Spironolactone she is already on lasix 40 mg. These med changes are driving me crazy. The Spironolactone has dropped her BP to an almost low bp now. Her heart rate is 45 which is about where it was a home before any meds at all.

I am always trying to watch for any side effects from a med change.

I always dread behavior changes as that usually means a med change.

I am wishing you well

Stewart

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jeanne, my first thought would have been a possible UTI too. I hope they can find a medication that works well. We're always here to support you in any way we can.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023

I sent a detailed message to his NP through the patient portal. She's great about responding, so I'm sure I'll hear back early next week. He's currently on Risperdal and Lexapro. I can deal with the behaviors. I'm more concerned that he's so upset.

@easy23 I'm so sorry. That must have been so scary. I hope the meds work out.

So, he's busy emptying the pantry onto the kitchen table so I guess I'll go start putting all our food away again. Thanks everyone.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Jeanne C - your DH and mine are in the same stage and exhibiting the same exact behaviors. For the last few months he's been much more aggressive, agitated, sad, depressed. Seemed to happen overnight. The neurologist put him on 0.5 mg Risperidone 1/2 tab at night. That did seem to help his sleeping. He was waking with hallucinations almost like sleep walking, disoriented and going into the closet instead of the bathroom. Thankfully I caught him in time. But during the day he was worse. He is rearranging everything in every cabinet and drawer we have. He lines things up on the outer edges of the shelves, nothing in the middle. He is a chatterbox at times, especially when he's stressed or in the car. Makes me so nervous. My DH also speaks child like. He pouts and says I don't care about him. He cried one morning at breakfast and said he was losing his mind. We both cried. He is having difficulty finding words to communicate. He is having an aversion to food and will ask what is he eating. Foods he used to like, he no longer likes. He's obsessed with our car. Wants to go check on it at night. He no longer drives and doesn't know how to start the new car I bought so that's good. We saw a Geriatric Psychiatrist last week who added 1/2 tab risperidone in the AM. So far no change. I sent another message to the Psychiatrist and she answered that she would refer me to the VA Caregiver Support & Respite care. I replied that I already have Caregiver Support & respite care. Have had it for months. I think I told her that during the visit. She said during the visit that she doesn't like to overmedicate and preferred to use other tactics to try to calm him. I agreed with that because I don't want him to be a zombie and sit in his chair and sleep all day. Some days are better some are awful. I'm still trying to distract him when he gets agitated but that's not always easy. I have learned to allow him to do what he wants unless it would cause him to get hurt. Trying to reason or explain doesn't work and only makes it worse. Someone said Zoloft. I'm going to ask the Geri Psychiatrist if the Risperidone doesn't help.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Just closing the loop on this. The awesome memory care NP we see was able to squeeze him in this afternoon. She is so good with him. She adjusted his meds. And we're going to monitor for a few weeks. Thank you all for your advice and support.

• GG06
    GG06 Member Posts: 92
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Thanks for the update, Jeanne! Fingers crossed the medication adjustment works.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more