Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Just catching up

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,443
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I went with my 2 daughters their husbands and 5 grandchildren to the beach for a week. We had a fabulous time . My 4 year old granddaughter with a disability stunned us all by swimming across a pool and back. I could not do that at 4!!!I had my own condo and they shared a large one. As my heritage is northern Irish and Viking, I was the most covered up person on the beach. My kids were wonderful

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited August 2023

Crushed, I have been offline for a couple of days and just logged in only to see this beautiful post! What a wonderful time with your adult children and grands. And that little one surprising all with her skills - a lesson for us all, right? You just never know. So glad you took a minute to share your joy with us! It sounds like so much fun even if you did not bare as much skin as the other sun-worshippers :) Wishing you all the best.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So good to hear that you are enjoying time with your family.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Glad you had a good time C. Granddaughter s are the best...

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

What a lovely vacation !!!! Thank you for sharing

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,074
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Good to see you back.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time with family...precious moments!

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Crushed,

it’s good to hear from you; I was wondering how you were doing. It seems like we were following parallel paths with our LO’s for awhile, until I passed you in the fast lane and entered stage 8 not so long ago. When our grands were small, DH and I loved having them “down the ‘shore”. Now that they are tweens, when they arrive with their friends, bikes and boogie boards, I head North to home, peace and quiet. But the memories are vivid, they linger and comfort me. Take care and continue to pamper yourself; even with Alz as a backdrop, the years fly by. I hope your DW remains content and comfortable.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

So good to hear from you, Crushed. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family. I’m so glad to hear that. And your little four year-old granddaughter sounds like a treasure.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Nothing better than family! Glad to hear things are going well.

• Crushed

I cant help but remember that 50 years ago August of 1973 DW started medical school. I started second year law. We were both living at home about 6 miles apart. It was exhausting. One Friday night I was supposed to take her to the movies. We were both sitting on the stairs at her house and we both fell asleep. Her mother took a picture and called it "hot date" . We had not told anyone we were engaged. But mothers always know and my mother and her mother were in contact and conspiring against us. I was always welcome at her house and we would sit in the basement. We almost never went out. We never traveled anywhere that year . But i was very happy. Memories..

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,675
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Crushed had been wondering about you. Glad you were having some family time

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What a wonderful time, and it is true - grandchildren are absolute treasures as well as absolute delights - nothing better! Glad to hear you had such a marvelous experience; lots of great memories being made for one and all.

J.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Was wondering how you’ve been, Crushed—great to hear that you had such a terrific family time together. Btw, my DW was born and raised in Northern Ireland.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Crushed, so good to see your posts! Warmed my heart.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Crushed, Glad you were able to getaway with your children & grandchildren, time with family is so precious.

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Lovely post!!!! Your update about your granddaughter swimming made my month 💕💕💕💕💕. Our daughter is similar and we celebrate every new milestone. Best wishes to you.

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

FAMILY is the best treasure that you can have.

• mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Crushed - Glad you had such a great time with family. Also, I always enjoy reading about your beautiful memories with your DW.

• Crushed

I am sitting on my deck watching hummingbirds . I am writing a new abstract for a conference . In OCTOBER DW will be 6 years in memory care. I am going on a cruise. My daughters both think its good for me, I miss DW so much . I checked her feet yesterday , she is fine . I will need cataract surgery after the cruise . I will travel with a friend this time. A lawyer who has just retired with Parkinsons. She will have the cabin next to miine and both are close to the elevators. She is an expert on disabled children and adults. She cannot tavel alone but just came back from South Africa with another colleague. In December I will go to Germany to visit my long time friend also with Parkinsons. He and I have worked together for over 40 years. I think endlessly about how fortunate I was that DW chose to spend her life with me . My kids say "You and Mom were both weird but you fit together like two puzzle pieces "

And that is the way it was

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sounds like a wonderful Fall and Winter. I am glad you have yourself booked up! Enjoy the hummers! We are going to a Hummingbird festival in Rockport TX next week. It’s nice to have plans to look forward to.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Two thumbs up! Glad you had some precious family time.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more