Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

@jeaamom4

Iris L.
Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to our online support group, jeaamom4. I'm glad you found this site because you can learn quite a lot to help yourself. I myself have Sjogren's Syndrome along with systemic lupus and I also have a diagnosis of cognitive impairment not otherwise specified. "Not otherwise specified" means that the cognitive impairment or dementia is not due to Alzheimer's Disease or the other dementias, but is due to a different chronic illness. In my case I also have antiphospholipid syndrome, hypertension hypothyroidism and sleep apnea as possible causes of cognitive impairment. For many years I was taking medication that impacted memory as a side effect.

As you can see, it is important to look for all possible causes of these conditions which can cause dementia mimics. These mimics may be treatable and the impairments may be reversible if caught in time. Or they may not. Since you already have a MCI diagnosis, there are steps you can take to improve your functioning and to prolong the early stages. These are lifestyle habits that have been shown to help PWDs (persons with dementia). These habits are called Best Practices and include:

--taking medications as prescribed, also not taking known memory loss medications.

--eating the Mediterranean or MIND diet, with fruits and vegetables for antioxidants, and fish and nuts for omega 3 fats.

--vigorous exercise to tolerance.

--continue to stimulate the brain with new learning.

--continue to socialize, perhaps in small groups or one-on-one, avoid crowds.

Best Practices also includes getting restful sleep from good sleep hygiene, avoiding stress and anxiety, and considering alternative or complementary medicine if desired. There are many threads on aromatherapy if you are interested.

Since you are still working, you may request work accommodations. There is a government site called askjan.org. You can search by disease to learn what work accommodations may help.

I suggest that you review your latest annual employee review for evidence of warnings of poor performance. If so, you may consider the following. You are close to early retirement age. You may want to do that. Or, you could apply for Social Security Disability Insurance if you believe you can no longer perform your work. This is a long complicated process that can take a few months. In the meantime, you can take sick leave, pending completion of your evaluation by the neurologist. The neurologist can tell you if what you are experiencing is potentially reversible with treatment, and if you can return to work.

Do NOT tell your employer that you have impairments until you have consulted an employment lawyer or other professional to see what your options are. Your employer might fire you or lay you off with a diagnosis of dementia, even if it is illegal.

You need to be strategic about going forward. I hope I have answered your question. If not, post back. Keep posting in any case. This is the place to find support for memory loss.

Iris

I edited the website for work accommodations to: askjan.org.

Iris

Comments

• jeaamom4
    jeaamom4 Member Posts: 15
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments

Hi Iris,

thank you so much for your very helpful response. I will look into work accommodations. My best time of the day is early mornings. By noon I am very tired. I will be 62 next August. Do you have any suggestions for health care coverage since I won’t qualify for Medicare until age 65.

I currently work full time as an OT in the schools. I have a big caseload covering 4 districts. There are so many different things to keep track of, and it is a high stress job.

I am going to see a dementia doctor on Thursday to try and get more answers. My biggest question is, what is the difference between brain fog and dementia? I am fully aware of my blunders and very embarrassed by them.

thank you, take care

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jeaamom4, brain fog is more of a generic term used by patients to try to describe how they feel. Dementia is a clinical diagnosis of loss of intellectual capacity due to brain degenerative changes. There are different types of dementia. The most common and well known dementia is Alzheimer's Disease. Vascular dementia is the second most common type. A diagnosis of dementia implies a terminal illness. Thus it is important to rule out dementia mimics that might be treatable and reversible if caught in time. Have you had any blood tests to look for common diseases? Are you on medications that have side effects?

If you are having blunders, see if work accommodations may help. But if not, consider taking sick leave until you have completed your medical and neurological evaluation. All of the testing will take some time. Check your employee review for warnings to see if others are noticing.

I don't know about medical insurance. The Alzheimer's Association offers a free consultation with a social worker who may advise you in this area. Call the Helpline at 1-800-272-3900 and ask to speak with a Care Consultant. You might also post on the General Caregivers board, because many members there will have knowledge of what you are asking.

Please post back after your neurologist appointment and keep us updated.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney