Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

He fell today.

DH fell this morning outside and couldn’t get up. We had just gotten home from the grocery store. He just lost his balance and went down pretty hard on the sidewalk and against a tree. Thankfully, nothing was broken. He couldn’t get up though. Last year, the physical therapist told me that in a situation like that got me to take a firm stance and tell him to climb up on me. I know that sounds weird, but that’s what she said. I tried that. It didn’t work. Of course, I only weigh about 90 pounds and he weighs 200. I finally called a neighbor and he came over and literally picked him up off the ground and helped him into the house. Except for a scraped elbow, he’s OK. I’m so grateful to that neighbor! And I was so sore afterwards from him pulling on me trying to get up that I had to lay down for a while. A friend has offered to give us a walker, and I may take her up on that offer. It’s sad to watch him getting weaker.

Brenda

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Brenda, I'm sorry. If this is something that continues to happen, or other symptoms show up right away, please have him checked for a UTI. Hopefully it's just a one time thing, and you don't have to go for testing. I'm pretty sure you know about UTIs, but sometimes when something happens, we don't think of things like that, and a reminder is needed. Keep us updated. That walker might be a good idea for a while to see how things work out.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Brenda i can only imagine how helpless you must have felt. Glad he’s okay…

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

This probably varies across the country but in my county, Rural Metro will come and pick someone up after a fall. And they don’t require the person that fell to go to the ER. It might be worth calling your local fire dept’s non-emergency number and see what they offer. So many of us caregivers are up there in years and if we don’t already have back problems, we could develop them easily. Or a wrenched shoulder or something else.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Brenda, that must have been so upsetting for you. Thank goodness a neighbor was there to help and that he didn’t break anything. I hope you’re still feeling ok tomorrow and don’t have any pulled muscles or anything and that he’s not sore either. In many towns the fire or ambulance will come and help in cases of falling. I’ve seen statistics in our small town for numbers of those kinds of calls and recall there being quite a few. Having a walker on hand just in case is probably a good idea.

• Ed1937

If you need help for a fall, I'd suggest you try the fire department first before calling an ambulance. The reason is because last spring I had a problem during the night, and my son called an ambulance. I refused to go to the hospital, and then I wound up with a bill for $900.00. Medicare would not pay because I was not transported. Just something to keep in mind.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

not all fire departments provide Lift Assist and some do charge for the service. I just checked our county and they do not offer it. Be sure to ask and ask if there is a fee. I found this. Might not help outside but inside it should https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSSDL6J_cs

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I wanted to update and let you know that he’s OK. He had some confusion afterwards but no bruising. Just a scraped elbow. After a good night sleep, I was OK too. A friend at Church brought me a walker yesterday, so I now have that on hand. Ed, thanks for reminding me about checking for a UTI and for telling me about your experience with the ambulance and having to pay $900. Others posted recommended checking with our local fire department. It’s a good idea. I will do that. Diane, Thanks for the link about how to get up after a fall outside.

• mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    edited August 2023

Brenda - MY DH has started falling lately too. He fell 5 times during the same week but hasn't fallen in the couple of weeks since. I had to take him to the ER when he fell out of bed and hit his head. The ER Dr. suggested that he use a walker but so far he refuses. I have one parked in the living room near his recliner to get him used to the idea. The first thing his primary care Dr. did was check for a UTI (he didn't have one). Next I worked with the clinical pharmacist at the VA who monitors his medication to be sure it wasn't a side effect of Seroquel (it wasn't that either). Finally, it was determined that his balance issues are just part of the Alzheimer's progression. He is currently experiencing a faster decline. I suspect part of it is also muscle loss due to inactivity and sleeping most of the day. I also had a nice neighbor who assisted in getting him off the ground and stabilized. He gave me his and his wife's cell phone numbers to come help if he falls at home again. Glad you have a helpful neighbor too.

• Ed1937

Brenda, I'm glad you are both doing better. It just seems like when you get one thing under control something else happens. 😔

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more