Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Therapy

I'm a caregiver to my DH. He was in a semi-truck accident 9 years ago. He spent 18 months I 7 different facilities and has been at home with 24/7 care for over 7 years. He has a brain injury and although he can walk (with a gait belt/walker), he has always needed are for all ADL's. Last year he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. One neuropsychiatrist told me this had nothing to do with his brain injury and another neuropsychiatrist told me all people with a TBI will get Alzheimer's. When I think about it, I believe he had it long before his accident. Earlier this year, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and he did not understand it at all. Even though I have support from my son and daughter-in-law, It's sometimes difficult because I just want to run away. He's so happy at home, but I truly do not know how much longer I can do this. My "shift is 8pm Friday nights to 10pm Sunday nights. I still work full time - which I enjoy as it feels like the only normal part of my life. I would love to get involved in some group therapy, but in my area all the meetings are during the day. As people in this situation know - most people don't understand what we go through. This morning he asked three time where I was, even though he was looking right at me! Ugh!!

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Wow, you're managing a lot. It's understandable that sometimes you want to run away. I think we all have those days.

Maybe you can find an online group? I know there is one for FTD caregivers a couple nights a week. There are probably others.

And I'm glad to hear that your kids are able to help. I don't know if you have a CELA but they may be able to help you determine what services you can get for long-term care. I'm going through that process right now and I have to say it's definitely worth the effort.

Take care of yourself. You're important.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry you are going through this. I also read that TBI's cause dementia & ALZ. This forum is a great place to vent and get help. I have respite care but it's only one afternoon a week and I have so far used it for doctors appointments for me. Could you find an online video support group? I think ALZ had some? Try searching for it on this website. You are so right that most people have no idea what caregivers go through. How can they unless they have been through it? My son lives in another state and the only way I can go visit is to put my DH in respite care at a nursing home. I can't do that. He would hate it and I would feel guilty and nursing homes are so depressing to me. Keep us posted if you find an online support group other than this forum.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Hello,

I'm so sorry for you both. Being a caregiver is tough enough, and now you're hit with the breast cancer diagnosis. Where is the justice?

I wish you good health, and hope that you can continue working, as you like to do. You deserve that. I'm in my back yard right now and i can hear the ocean even though im 2 miles away. It is comforting and I can breathe...

Sending you an ocean breeze,

Maureen

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hugs Hugs Hugs . I have no advice but I want you to know that I am glad you posted and letting “us” know you are going through rough times . Maybe others can give you clarity and advice for next steps. I know you are tired.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more