Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memory changes question

My DH progressed very slowly the last 7 years. About 7 months ago I started to notice more short term memory issues. It didn’t come overnight, but we both felt it was like he moved into the next stage. It definitely was gradual progression, but at the same time, I could no longer deny to myself that he was getting worse. He’s aware of his memory issues. He never gets mad, just worried about me.

my question is have others noticed that someone progressed into a next stage and that next stage progressed faster? Where he couldn’t remember dates and times and his comprehension skills got more compromised, now he can’t remember he talked to someone the same day. Or has me write a note and 15 minutes later reads said note to me to let me know what he was doing.

Comments

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Progression can accelerate and decelerate, or seem to hold steady for a time. Everyone is different in pace and even in specific expression of symptoms. The standard stages give you a general idea what to expect and in what order but not all PWD will experience them exactly the same nor at the same pace. I can never pinpoint the time when my DW crossed into the next stage, just recognize it happened within few recent months. She has taken almost 7 years to get from 2/3 to currently around 6b.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thank you. I never cared much for the standard stages list. My DH symptoms have blurred those lines. We both feel he has moved forward in his progression after holding steady for many years. I appreciate your comment, thank you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more