Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to find care

My husband who is 76 is in stage 6/7 at this time. I am the only person who can care for him. Family lives far away. How do I find outside help? His psychiatrist can offer no suggestions. He’s calm but confused during the day but these last five nights have found him confused delusional and up till early morning hours. Exhausting for both of us.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum. Have you told the psychiatrist about the sleep disturbance and the delusions? Maybe medication and/or a change in dosage or drug is indicated. As for the other--how do you know that you are the only person who can care for him? Has anyone else tried, or are you just concerned that he will not accept outside help? Have you considered a hospice evaluation?

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Maybe try your local council on aging. A social worker there should be able to help you learn about resources available in your state.

• Lakemamat
    Lakemamat Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Yes it’s just me. No family near. He burned all his friendships a few years ago with his anger outbursts. And is so jealous of anyone else in my life, especially men. I’ll rub reaching out to a social worker.

• tgeno
    tgeno Member Posts: 34
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary

I would call the Alzheimer's Association help line at 800.272.3900. They may be able to steer you to the nearest ALZ Assoc chapter and find support groups in your area. Some support groups are online. The participants in local support groups typically have suggestions of where they're getting help. The local Area Agency on Aging can be a big source of advice on local resources. Also try your local senior center, which may also have contacts. Don't give up. Explore all your options.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Local support groups, senior centers, churches, police station social workers, and other organizations might be best to get information for local help. Depending on what type of help you need should be considered on who to contact. If you just need someone to sit with him so you can get a break every so often, a church might have volunteers to fill that need. If they can't fill the need, they might be able to steer you in the right direction for help. I hope you can get the help soon.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Get to a support group. They always have names. Then put out the word that y ou are looking. Finally I read obits. Many times thanks will be given to caregivers.

Until you find the right person call an agency. I and many others here have used Home Instead. They are all locally owned so one may be better than the next.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

First, have him checked for UTI. It causes delusions and odd behavior. Second, talk to the doctor about his behavior and he should be able to prescribe medication to help. They put my DH on Risperidone low dose and it has helped him sleep. Maybe you need a Geriatric Psychiatrist who is more familiar with cognitive issues? ALZ.gov page with ideas on how to find help. https://www.alzheimers.gov/life-with-dementia/find-local-services

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care