Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New thread from Walter0617 concerning Medicaid

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I just joined this forum and am already relieved to see I'm not alone in some of the issues I'm dealing with. My DW was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 5 years ago. She was early onset and is now 69 years old. Her doctors tell me she is about 18 months from late stage. I still have her at home but am beginning to consider memory care. She often doesn't know who I am and is beginning to not recognize our adult sons and grandkids. She wears the same clothes for a week at a time, including sleeping in them and is very resistant if I try to get her to change clothes. She hasn't showered in over two years, but does stay clean by taking sponge baths in the sink. I manage her meds, cook all the meals and generally try to make sure her needs are met. She is often agitated with me, so her doctor prescribed Seroquel, which does seem to help, at least for a while. I still work part-time and rely on my adult children for support in staying with her. I've also lined up paid help when needed. The biggest issue I'm facing currently is trying to figure out when it would be best to move her into memory care. Since I can't afford the $70k annual cost of private pay facilities, I would have to use Medicaid, which is a complex process. If anyone has experience with the Medicaid process, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Comments

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney