Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Losing my DH of 58 years

My DH departed this earth and the chains of Alzheimer’s on August 5. Even though I know he would not have wanted to stay longer in his condition I miss my partner of a lifetime. I was his caregiver for the last 6 years. He was in MC for 10 months and was going to have to be moved to a SNF soon. I was with him one evening as usual and they called me the next morning sending him to ER. He aspirated sometime during the night and never recovered. We were with him 6 days in a hospice house before he passed. It has only been 4 weeks and I haven’t found my new normal yet, just coping day to day right now.

Comments

• Waldorf
    Waldorf Member Posts: 16
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My DW departed at home on August 2 after 12 years of eventual decline. She was on hospice for 4 weeks and quit eating in the 4th week. I am trying to stay busy so I don't think about it to much. We were married 60 1/2 years. I was her only care giver except for the last 4 weeks.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My prayers are for both of you loosing your loved one. I pray for peace, comfort and strength for each of you and your families.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

So very sorry cindaniels for you loss. Coping is all that can be expected at this point I think . Love to you and your family.

waldorf , I wish you and your family peace as well . Such a long devastating road…

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

So many years for both of you, a lifetime. My sincere prayers to you both.

Michele

• Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

May the peace of God, the The love of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the gift of the Holy Spirit, Be with you both, on your day to day struggles to start a new life without the ones that you loved, and spent most of your years with. Take comfort Knowing that even though you had day to day struggles as a caregiver you made their lives so much better, and that they are peace now. God's Blessings to both.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

My condolences on your loss. Wishing you strength and peace as you live on. The grieving process may overwhelm you, but it, too, shall pass. Be comforted that your LO is in a good place now and endure no more suffering.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,675
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

So sorry for your loss.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So, so sorry for both your losses. A partner of a lifetime is probably one of the most devastating losses one can suffer. May you both find your way through the "forest of grief" that is undoubtedly very dark right now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more