Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Still in hospital

Hi everyone.

just got back from visiting my husband in the hospital. He really is somewhere in Narnia but did hold my hand for awhile, which felt nice. I spoke with him but he didn’t answer. I can barely hold it together when I visit, maybe I am in some kind of denial. I can’t believe he is like this but it is what it is. (Duh, totally obvious expression). I wear a mask to hide the tears.

I was asked by the staff about him, what was he like, replying, I told them about his rapier like wit, his ability to build anything he wanted, his greenhouse full of caudiforms or fat plants. I wanted to scream, you have no idea what an amazing man he was. She looked at me blankly, I mean she has only seen him as a barely responsive man curled up in a hospital bed. I guess what makes so sad is that he is not coming back. I realize that I am experiencing terrible loss. It really hurts but I realize he has no idea what is going on and I am glad for him.

I don’t know if you have ever seen the film Truly Madly Deeply but there is a scene where she talks to her husband the ghost about moving on, because she is still alive and he isn’t. That scene resonates with me. My husband isn’t in there anymore, I have to soldier on.

Sorry for this emotional post, it helps coming back here.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Bugsroo, very glad to hear from you. Ang glad you had a chance to brag about your amazing man.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,675
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

(((So sorry for your pain.)))

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Your post brought tears to my eyes, Buggsroo. You have lost so much, as we all have.

anyone who feels as you do is not in denial. Thank you for your post, expressing your feelings so honestly and generously. We feel with you and as you do. My heart goes out to you.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi everyone,

I am still working, it keeps my brain active so I won’t be going anywhere unless they chuck me out the door.

Speaking of the board and putting pics up, I noticed they spelled his name wrong, it’s Jon not John, so maybe they will ask me to account for the missing “H”, petty I know but it was driving me nuts.

Thank you for your compassion, grieving is so weird. I planted some flowers today and I am hoping I will get a visit from some inquisitive bees. Some butterflies hopefully as well.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Buggsroo, so sorry about your wonderful Jon. This disease is so heartbreaking. We grieve as each loss comes. Thank you for telling us about Jon. I saw the pictures of you and Jon that you posted. Please keep in touch. ♥️

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more