Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hello. I'm brand new to this area. Just diagnosed with EOAD yesterday. I had a stroke in Feb 2022, so I thought I had vascular dementia, but CT and Pet scans and other tests and med hx and whatever the docs do say EOAD. My 58th birthday was last week.

I'm grappling over giving up driving. My wife and I live in the country, 14 miles from town. Chickens, a horse, dogs and cats and 20 acres to 5ake care of. We are about 2 1/2 hr drive away from where our families live. I can't walk to town, but I'll probably try!

I'm thinking my wife won't be able to take care of this place on her own. But she is established here and really doesn't want to move in town, or closer to other relatives. So there's that. I also have kids and grands that I sure would like to be closer too, at least until I get myself in a MC and can't take care of myself.

We really do have a nice place here in the country.....hmmm??? Thoughts? Thank you.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Welcome to our online support group, Jay. I'm sorry you have that diagnosis. It looks like a lot of testing was done to rule out dementia mimics. Despite what doctors and others may tell you, there are steps you can take to make your life easier. There are several members who live on farms or ranches or in the country. You will have a lot of questions, so feel free to ask.

Personally, I have a diagnosis of cognitive impairment not otherwise specified. I began treatment at age 59 years, I am now 73 years of age. Testing has shown that I do not have Alzheimer's Disease. I have multiple medical causes for my memory loss.

You do not necessarily have to move to a Memory Care facility. There are many different stories. It depends upon your brain pathology and your support system. Your wife may want to visit the Spouse/Partner board. Please post back if you have questions.

Iris

• Janutt
    Janutt Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Hi JayBo,

Welcome,

happy belated birthday to you!! I was diagnosed with EOAD at the age of 55. I had suffered a rare type of heart attack SCAD (spontaneous coronary artery dissection) at the same time. They have figured this was the cause of me developing EOAD at an accelerated speed. I then turned 56 a couple weeks later and had a brain aneurysm , and 2 strokes (no one ever noticed this expect my speech therapist and family members) then a yer ago the doctors found another aneurysm in my spleen. I will be 58 next month. I have lost my license during that time. I am not upset since I was having difficulties with remembering how to drive when I left the hospital from HA. I have spoken to my family members that I don't want to go to a place where I will lose my identity. I still have more to live for. They have all agreed with me. My grand parents had done this many years ago. Both had AD and then my uncle who had AD stayed in a nursing home and I would visit so, that is my reasons. I too have many children and some grandchildren. I agree with Iris if you don't have to go into memory care facility then weigh it out. I get it that it feels like an inconvenience for your wife.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more