Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Language Skills Improving?

Has anyone felt their LO was showing improvement? My husband has been steadily declining in his language and social skills (increased disinhibition), object, people, and place naming since January of this year. Looking back, he's had symptoms since 2019, but it was in January of this year that I realized something was seriously wrong.

This past May he was diagnosed with FTD - semantic and behavioral variants, both by a neuropsychologist (5-hour evaluation) and NP at a memory center. He scored a 16/30 last month on the Montreal Cognitive test which was a 4-point drop from May.

For months, he has asked me to read and respond to his text messages. He would substitute words, seemingly unaware that he was not using the correct one. He has been confused and childlike.

This week he has been reading his text messages, self-correcting his word errors, and seems to be less confused. I feel like I'm losing it. Anyone had a similar situation?

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

hello, i noticed an improvement in word use when my DH was on memantine. This lasted for a few months .

Take care ,

Maureen

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

With my DW her Semantic Dementia decline was pretty linear but she did have minor "improvements" occasionally but they didn't last long. She would forget the word "garage" for example (replaced with "the place we keep our cars"), but then it would come back briefly. For years she did not recognize me as her husband (although she treated me as someone she was comfortable with). And now in Stage 7, she will sometimes call me by my name or even exclaimed "my husband" a few times when she first sees me, despite the fact that she needs to be hand fed and can't compose a simple sentence. But this recognition comes and goes as well. Dementia is a cruel disease.

• GG06
    GG06 Member Posts: 92
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary
    edited September 2023

Thank you @gampiano and @Vitruvius for sharing your experiences. My husband isn't on any medication that would improve his memory. Glad it worked for yours, at least for a while, Maureen. Vitruvius, it must feel nice to hear your wife say, "my husband," although it must be bittersweet. My heart goes out to you, and your wife.

I found some information online and, in the book, "What if it's not Alzheimer's" about fluctuating cognition, but it only references it occurring in Lewy Bodies. I know I should be happy about his "improved" cognitive function, but it's causing me anxiety because I don't understand and wonder if he was misdiagnosed. Not that I think he has Lewy Body dementia. He just said, "Look at the ducks." For the past few months, he has called them birds because he did not remember the word "ducks."

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 2023

I've been sensing some kind of small improvement but I can't seem to put my finger on it. Maybe it's just because we are in status quo for so long.

• GG06

@ghphotog I understand what you mean.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

You're so attuned to your husband that you will see these changes. I would definitely mention it at your next appointment.

I think there was something in the 36 Hour Day that talked about nerves connecting and then disconnecting almost like an electrical short. Such a strange condition.

Hang in there GG. You're doing great.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is Stage 5 going into Late Stage 5. Some days he seems OK and other days he can't find the words. Never know what the day will bring. I think Jeanne C is right. Sometimes the pathways are open and sometimes they are closed.

• GG06

@Jeanne C. Thank you for the reminder about the 36 Hour Day! Found the section describing fluctuations on page 43. Feel better that it included all types of dementia. @SDianeL Thank you for letting me know you're noticing the same thing with your DH. I know you are a fan of this book too. I read it cover to cover when I first started this journey 7 months ago. Definitely a good time for a refresher.

• markus8174
    markus8174 Member Posts: 76
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

My beloved has had a kiddie roller coster ride of improvements and losses. I have noticed she is much more herself if I can get her well hydrated and vigerously engaged her in her enviornment. She is at a much lower functioning state than your DH, but I saw simular UPs and Downs at earlier stages. Nothing may make any change in his "better times/worse times"", but all I can suggest is watch for consistant cause and effect patterns. Took supper poorly-much worse, drank lots of OJ with breakfast- much better. You may be able to find a few options that will help him hold onto his world a little longer. Every good day is precious.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I have often thought of AD as an old lamp with a frayed cord. You plug it in and sometimes the bulb lights, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it flickers, on and off. It can feel like a cruel tease when the bulb is temporarily lit.

• GG06

I like your analogy @Jeff86. It is a cruel tease for sure.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more