Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dizziness and shaking

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

DH was at a get together with a few people around dinner time. He began to shake and felt dizzy. I got a call saying he was doing better but they were bringing him home. He appeared ok when he arrived no shaking a bit lightheaded. Made him some dinner and all ok. The dizziness has happened before , not the shaking and asked doctor about it. At the time they did a CT scan and nothing new. Could be his meds but on same ones and doesn’t happen a lot? Do any of your LO feel dizzy at times or shake? Tks for your input!

Comments

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,074
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Is it possible that it was caused by dehydration?

A quick test is to pinch and pull up on the skin on the back of the hand. Release and observe how quickly the skin returns to normal. If slowly, try additional fluids.

• GG06
    GG06 Member Posts: 92
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

My husband has occasional dizziness. His doctor and I are also pretty sure he had an episode of vertigo a few months ago. That’s only happened once.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    edited September 2023

Was he cold? Prior to dementia, I was the one who complained of cold. Now DH frequently does. DH now occasionally shakes when he is cold. Air conditioning seems to bring it on. I now have him bring a sweater if we are going to be in anywhere air conditioned. He usually ends up wearing it.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH has had 3 episodes of high blood pressure, dizziness, nausea & vomiting. The last time we went to the ER as his doctor recommended. They kept him overnight and found nothing after running all kinds of tests. Zip. Zero. Nada. They did say he could have been having "mini strokes" that doesn't show up on CT Scans. I asked the Neurologist if it could be brain related and she just gave me a blank look with no answer. There is a part of the brain that controls that but so far they haven't diagnosed my DH with anything wrong there. I did 2 things when he complained. 1. Checked his blood sugar. He's diabetic and I though maybe it was too low. 2. Checked his blood pressure and found it was sky high. All 3 times. He was not dehydrated. I make sure he drinks lots of water because he has kidney problems.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

It is possible that it was anxiety...too much stimulation.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

or a UTI.My husband just had thee symptoms and sure enough, that was the case, The meds were awful , side effects, but he had a resistant bug.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I have problems with low blood sugar, and have to watch it pretty closely, otherwise I might get like that. But there may be other symptoms too. Confusion and passing out could also be a sign. It sounds like after he ate, he was better. Eating will raise your blood sugar, then you'll feel OK. If this continues to happen, make note if he hasn't eaten for some time. If that's the case, you might want to see an endocrinologist to see if it's a low sugar problem. But I'm sure there are many other things that could cause it too.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I’ll chime in though this isn’t very helpful. My DH has complained of “wooziness” and “wobbliness” for a couple of years. The docs don’t seem to know or care. These issues used to be periodic but are now pretty constant. He hasn’t been falling yet but I figure it’s just a matter of time. His first dementia doc guessed it might be related to his vascular dementia. His current NP-Neurology thought it might be dehydration. I try to get him to drink more which he does. But, if anything, it’s a bit worse. I do believe it’s related to the dementia. But that’s just my gut feeling. And I don’t know if there’s any treatment available. So I’m just another confused fellow traveler.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more