Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Behaviour

My husband who has dementia lost his license in May so I hid his keys . He has recently insisted to be retested and got it back much to my surprise. We are waiting for the ministry of transportation to contact us to give him the go ahead to drive. Every day he forgets about the process and insists that he get his keys back and gets very angry. He woke me in the middle of the night yelling and proceeded to let all the air out of my tires so I couldn't drive my car. Im at my wits end and hoping someone has some advice.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Philly- sorry you're having this problem. I'm not sure about the laws where you live (since you mentioned the ministry of transportation, I'm guessing it's not the US). In some places doctors are mandatory reporters, meaning they are obligated to report someone who is too impaired to drive. Is it possible for his doctor to flag his license? You could lose everything if he causes an accident. More importantly, he or someone could be hurt or worse. I also recommend speaking with an elder law expert. All the best to you.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi Philly. Welcome to our little family. Sorry you need to be here. Why did he lose his license to begin with? Surely he can't be any better now than he was then. I'm really sorry they told him he passed. That just makes it that much harder on you.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Keeping a journal of behaviors would be helpful to give (privately) to his physician.

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 198
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Please take care of your personal safety first. If he woke you to verbally assault you and then sabotage your car, there is always the possibility that he could escalate as the disease progress and you continue to be the roadblock, in his deteriorating brain, to getting what he wants.

What he did was very, very serious.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney