Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Surprise ability today

So for months now my DH has not been able to push the right buttons to run our dishwasher and if he chooses to help with dishes he doesn’t even put the dishes in the dishwasher but rather washes and dries them by hand. It’s as though he doesn’t remember we even have a dishwasher. So this morning he not only puts the dishes in the dishwasher but pushes the right buttons to run it, all without any assistance from me. Can’t remember the last time he was able to do this. Has anyone else experienced times like this, where they remember how to do something they haven’t been able to do for quite sometime?? Scared it’s a good day before another downturn and enter into the next stage.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

This sometimes happens. But it doesn't mean a downturn is right around the corner. This disease is like a roller coaster, and that makes things harder for us to handle. If it was always the same, it would be easier, but the uncertainty is rough.

• GG06
    GG06 Member Posts: 92
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

Hi Kat63 - I posted a similar question the other day. My husband has aphasia and struggles with finding the right words which causes his sentences to sound choppy and fragmented. Last week, his speech sounded noticeably better. He self-corrected when he used the wrong word and did not ask me to read his text messages for him which he usually does. This week he has reverted back to where he was. In fact, I've noticed more episodic memory issues as well.

It will be interesting to see if your husband continues to push the correct buttons to operate your dishwasher. Keep us posted.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    edited September 2023

I believe this is very common . Things start off once or twice forgotten and it gets worse over time. It is this part of dementia that causes the caregiver to question everything or at least it's that way for me. The loss whatever you observe will eventually become permanent.

Or at least this has been my experience.

Stewart

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Some days my DH sounds almost normal. Other days he's like a lost child. What Victoria2020 said.

• Kat63
    Kat63 Member Posts: 60
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Update on my DH. He is back to washing dishes by hand, so just able to remember how to use dishwasher that one time. This week has not been a bad week, as he has been more settled in the evenings, where he actually will sit and relax a little before going to bed, as opposed to what the last few months have been, where he is walking around the house all evening checking on this or that or wanting to go “home”. Of course see what tomorrow brings!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more