Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hell week...a cold hard reality check

Hello fellow travelers,

My DH and I have been trudging long in stage 6. Ive been adapting, reinventing, reading old and new posts for guidance. But I truly wasn't prepared for the drastic turn of events that took place last week.

DH had another UTI, and the culture showed a resistant form of strep. He was very weak, and out of it, and then... the antibiotics kicked in and he turned into a Parkinson's patient literally in one day. Tremors, spatial issues, vision changes, hallucinations, and , worst of all, he fell 3 times. I had to have EMTs come to pick him up.

WE had just transitioned to first floor living, thankfully, but he was awake and agitated for 48 hours straight, with me monitoring his every move. This was a glimpse into the future. I can handle the personal care , manage the household, continue to work from home, but i can't do it on NO SLEEP. This is what kills caregivers or at least makes them sick.

DR. wants me to put him on benadryl, 12.5 mg tid, for a week. If that is effective, then he will prescribe something based on the results. Ive also reached out to Palliative Care services, and 2 social workers are coming over on friday to do intake and discuss the program. Hired a CNA to come 3 afternoons a week and keep eyes on him while i teach. Now i'm thinking of renting out the master BR +bath upstairs to get more money for caregivers. Its been on my mind for awhile, but now that DH will no longer be allowed upstairs, its becoming feasible.

Anyway, this is scary, sad, and ....well, you all know the rest.

Maureen

Comments

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hugs and warm thoughts.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

thank you, Ann

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Maureen, I'm so sorry. "Tremors, spatial issues, vision changes, hallucinations, and , worst of all, he fell 3 times." All of these things could be brought on by the UTI, and not necessarily progression. Hopefully that's the case, and they can get rid of the infection. I'll say a prayer for you tonight.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Please review Benadryl side effects in older adults. There is increased risk of falls due to drowsiness and decreased alertness. There might be a paradoxical effect resulting in increased agitation. With a UTI, there should be improvement within 48 hours. If not, a culture and sensitivity should be done to determine the correct antibiotic. There is a lot of antibiotic resistance.

Iris

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Maureen, I second Iris suggestion about reviewing Benadryl’s use in a PWD. I have always been advised not to use these types of sleep aid as the might aggravate the symptoms of AD. Attached is one such article on medication to be avoided, Benadryl is discussed in the over the counter paragraph.

https://mind.uci.edu/medications-and-patients-with-alzheimers-disease-what-to-avoid/

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry… sending hugs and prayers ❤️

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Maureen, I cannot imagine what you are going through. You are a rock star that you have endured through this "hell week" and are still going like a super planner. I am so glad you are getting help and I pray that things get better.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Just seconding/thirding what Iris and Jo have already said about Benadryl. Also, if the antibiotic is a quinolone like Cipro, levaquin, or Ofloxacin, those can also have central nervous system effects. So sorry.

• gampiano

Thank you all, for the valuable input. Yes, the antibiotic is levaquin, and thankfully, we are finished with it. Went for labs Tuesday to see if the infection has cleared. waiting for results.

Symptoms have abated, thankfully. IDK why the VA doctor, who has been great so far, would have suggested Benadryl to try for a week. Ill look up those side effects.

Again, thank you all.

Maureen

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited September 2023

It infuriates me that prescribers continue to use quinolone antibiotics in PWD. These meds can create central nervous system havoc even in non-PWD. Caregivers: remember these two: Levaquin (levofloxacin) and Cipro (ciprofloxacin) - do not allow your loved one to be given these meds.

Ditto: the use of Benadryl!

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 360
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I’m a pediatrician, but even I bit my tongue and rolled my eyes when I saw this. Inside I thought, “Uh oh, a fluoroquinolone,” and “Benadryl? Yikes!” So sorry!!!! Hoping everything improves for you from here onwards.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry you are going through this. My DH is stage 5 going into Late Stage 5 and also goes to the VA. If your VA doctor that suggested the Benadryl is a Primary Care Doctor, please get a referral to a Geriatrics PCP & a Geri Psychiatrist who is the proper professional to manage dementia medications. We just met with a Geri Psych doctor and she was awesome. She increased his Risperidone from 1/2 tab at night to 1/2 tab AM & PM and it's helped some. No to the Benadryl. Benadryl has been linked to memory loss. My daughter sent me a link for that. Also as other have said the antibiotic is toxic to the nervous system. I took it once and I felt like I glowed in the dark!! Every nerve in my body was firing. Can't can't be good for someone with Dementia or ALZ. https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/common-anticholinergic-drugs-like-benadryl-linked-increased-dementia-risk-201501287667

• gampiano

Thank you all. S Diane L, I have learned more about VA Benefits and navigating the system through your posting. I will follow up on your suggestion,

Gratefully,

Maureen

• Anna2022
    Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
  • ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

My DH is going through a nasty UTI right now. The doc first prescribed Cefdiner and then after the culture came back, told me to discontinue that and start giving him Amox/clav instead. He’s been on the Amox for 3 days and judging from his actions, it doesn’t seem to be helping much. He’s had bowel incontinence the past few days and diarrhea. Any of you know anything about these two drugs? Some of the symptoms sound like what gampiano is describing except that he sleeps well. He’s had UTI’s in the past that usually started clearing in a couple days with antibiotics like Cipro.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more