Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

sundowner

Any suggestions on what to do during this crazy time ?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Donka, welcome aboard, but sorry you need to be here. I think it would be a good idea to make notes of the symptoms and times of sundowning. Then give that information to the doctor. There may be medications given at a certain time that can help. I wish you luck.

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Keeping notes on any change is a good idea to understand if there are triggers you can avoid. For my DW one was moving shadows at night from trees blown by wind or lights of passing vehicles; another was temperature discomfort, too hot or cold. Closing blinds at night and making sure appropriate clothing was added or removed timely helped. And medication (seroquel) helped some to even out the mood swings but still has occasional meltdowns or agitation that can happen with or without any apparent trigger. I have learned to accept some of this cannot be contained and it normally doesn’t last longer than 30 minutes. Still very inconvenient to take a big timeout from everything until it passes.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW Sundowns a lot in the afternoon. She gets very scared and more confused. Sometimes taking her for a drive helps snap her out.

• Donka
    Donka Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

Thank You all, All good suggestions !

• Walter0617
    Walter0617 Member Posts: 23
    Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Taking a drive sometimes helps my DW, stage 6. Also, a low does of Seroquel has helped a lot, although I suspect we are getting closer to asking her doctor to increase the dose a bit.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more