Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Cancer for Two

I have shared that my DW was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer. She is receiving radiation treatments 5 days a week which have resulted in symptom improvements.

In early June I noticed a lump on the left side of my neck. When it didn't resolve, I made an appointment with my PCP who referred me to an ENT. Today, I was told that I have B-cell Non-Hodgkin Lympoma and am being referred to an Oncologist myself.

I am glad that DW moved into memory care in mid-August. She seems to be well cared for, and is adjusting as well as can be expected for a PWD at early stage 6. I am not sure what the future holds, but am trusting God fully. I do wonder how much I will be able to do as far as driving DW to radiation treatments or just visiting her.

DW and I have been married for 41+ years. Together, we have experienced many joys and sorrows over the years. Although the cancers are different, we will experience this together.

This I know, life's experiences can be both good and bad. But, God is good all the time.

Tom

Comments

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Prayers and virtual hugs! I’m glad that your wife’s symptoms are abating some. I don’t know what the treatment regimen is for your cancer. Keep us posted.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your DW. My DH is in memory care and I think your DW's memory care facility would drive her to her radiation treatments if you are unable to.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Rocky prayers for you and your wife.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Rocky, Praying for you and your DW.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Tom, I am sorry. Not all lymphomas require treatment, but i hate that you face more uncertainty and worry. I admire your attitude, it will help im sure.sending you much support.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 798
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending hugs and prayers…

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Tom I will be praying for you both and all the time God is good

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Rocky, I'm so sorry. Being a member of our family, you will receive a lot of prayers for the best outcome.

• Kat63
    Kat63 Member Posts: 60
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Tom, so sorry to read about your diagnosis. Saying prayers for you and your DW. Keep us updated.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 850
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Tom, I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. Know that you will and your dear wife be in my prayers.

Brenda

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I thank you all for your heart-felt responses, and especially for your prayers. I'll post updates as I know more.

Tom

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Tom adding you and your wife on my prayer list too. You are so right, God is good all the time and His grace is sufficient!

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Praying for you and your DW and for the doctors.

• Rocky2
    edited October 2023

Update...

DW is on track to complete her last (30th) radiation therapy treatment next Monday. The treatments have been effective in stopping the bleeding, and I am pleased with that. She has some side effects including fatigue and some skin issues. I am concerned that DW has lost weight and is now 86 lbs. We are working on skin care and trying to build up her weight again.

I completed my 1st round of R-CHOP chemotherapy and see visible signs that it is attacking my Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. The lump on my neck has virtually disappeared. I go for round 2 at the end of next week.

With the exception of the first few days after my chemo, I have been able to visit DW most days. I only have stamina enough for 1 to 2 hours per day, but that time is cherished.

I haven't been posting, but have been visiting the alzconnected site most days. I guess I have been doing more "rocking on the porch" than writing. I am, however, praying for your situations. My thanks to all who are praying for us.

Tom

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I hope you continue to “Rock the porch” and save your energy for the cherished times. Prayers for continued recovery

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Tom, I am sorry you are experiencing these dual diagnosis on to of the dementia journey. I will keep both you & your wife in my prayers. Glad to hear your wife is done with her treatments and that your treatment appears to be working.

• M1

Tom I'm so sorry to hear this, Chop is not easy therapy. You're in my prayers too. And i hope your dear wife is comfortable and at peace...

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Tom keeping you and your wife in my prayers. Hope your wife will be able to start gaining some weight back.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 884
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

🙏

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Glad to hear it's working for DW. But sorry it's so darn hard for you. I hope it gets easier for you, and everything turns out good. One day at a time.

• Denise1847

Tom, I am so sorry. I will be praying for you and your dear wife. I cannot believe the amount of suffering that people on this forum are facing. As if this disease isn't enough suffering already.

• Mint

🙏🙏

• Rocky2

Update 2: DW has gained strength now that her radiation therapy is completed. I'm pleased that she is able to walk on her own again with the preexisting gait issues, but is not dependent on a wheelchair. She is however, still underweight.

I had a 2nd PET scan last week with positive results. Clearly the R-CHOP chemotherapy is working and has greatly reduced many of the cancers spots (Stage 4 diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL)) shown on the 1st scan.

Thank you for your continued thoughts/comments and prayers. I continue the same for you.

Tom

• M1

Good new Tom, I'm glad to hear it. CHOP is no picnic....

• Mint

Tom thank you for the update. 🙏🏻 God will give you the strength you need.

• Denise1847

Tom, Thanks for the good news. Praise God. May you and your DW continue to improve.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more