Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Rough Night

White Crane
White Crane Member Posts: 851
Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

We had a full day yesterday and we were both tired when we went to bed. He always talks for ten to fifteen minutes after we get in bed but last night he seemed to be especially worried that the door might not be locked. I assured him time after time and we finally got to sleep. I woke up at 1:45 with him standing over me and pulling at the covers and picking at the bed. He said he was checking. Next he wandered all over the second floor and finally I heard him going downstairs. Nothing I said seemed to help. Long story short, I found him downstairs going from room to room and the front door was wide open. He kept saying there were people in the house. It took over a half hour to finally get him back to bed and even then he refused to lie down for another ten minutes or so. I was so tired! I tried everything...talking softly and reassuring him. I told him the police had come and checked the house and everything was okay. I talked loud, soft, sweet, harsh, I sang hymns to him...nothing. Finally I guess he just wore out because he finally laid back down but kept rambling for another ten minutes or so.

I felt so helpless! Most of the time I handle things pretty well but when he's not really awake and not really asleep, there seems no way to communicate with him. I'm really tired this morning but have a dental appointment this morning so am up and eating breakfast. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

Comments

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I'm sorry that you both had such a rough night. It must have been so stressful for both of you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

Tom

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Thank you , Tom. Much appreciated.

Brenda

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Brenda, sorry you had such a time. If out of the ordinary things continue, you might want to consider a UTI test.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Everything is worse at night, isn't it? Hope you got your second wind. Opening the door is scary.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Oh Brenda, I can really identify with this. Just as we think we are "handling" things, a giant file cabinet comes froom out of the sky and lands on our heads! ( I don't know where that imagery came from, probably because i've been in the files this week looking for legal docs to copy.) The front door scenario is a nightmare. I hope you can get some rest sooner rather than later, and that it went well at the dentist's.

Wishing you at least 8 hours of peaceful sleep.

Maureen

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 528
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I feel you on the night time stuff. DH has lately been having to ask me if it's day or night. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to his sleeping habits. FWIW, I'm so happy we no longer share a room. Otherwise I'd never get any rest. Lately he seems to like falling asleep sitting up with the TV on.

Hoping that everything calms down by tonight.

• upstateAnn
    upstateAnn Member Posts: 103
    100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am so sorry.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry. Is he on any medication? My DH has had 4 episodes at night almost like sleep walking. Hallucinations saying he dropped something. He got the flashlight to look for "it" I asked him what and he just kept saying "it". He would get disoriented and not be able to find the bathroom. The Neurologist put him on Memantine at night and now on Risperidone 1/2 tab AM & PM. He takes the Memantine & Risperidone right before bed. That seems to help. We'll see.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Brenda, I’m sorry you had such an awful night. It makes everything so much harder the next day, trying to deal with all of this without sleep. Have you talked to his doctor about medications? That was the thing that worked with my DH. They do have to be adjusted from time to time.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more