Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Refusing to eat, drink or take meds, eyeing me with suspicion

OK...

Husband showed some improvement on Wednesday, and after refusing to go to the lab for specimen delivery and more bloodwork {to see if UTI was cleared}, finally cooperated once we were at the hospital. However, he began to refuse food, ate a little, was reluctant to drink fluids. Finally had some ice cream. This is the new pattern now, Wed, Thurs, Friday. Today we had a visit from 2 social workers to give us info on Palliative Care. After about 30 min of observation, they suggested hospice services and we filled out intake for that as well. Medicare guidelines for Hospice require Stage 7, and im not sure where he is at this point. I'm so used to his deficits that they have become normalized, so when an objective observation takes place, the reality of his decline becomes more evident to me. I feel that his decline is accelerating. Anyway, a hospice nurse will be here in the morning. Such a turn of events.

Ill keep you posted,

Maureen

Comments

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thinking you as you and sending a big hug.

Cindy

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Maureen, it sounds as though you are at the bittersweet stage. I'm sorry it's becoming more difficult, but glad others are there trying to help.

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

thank you ED. You always seem to have the right words....

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

A kudo for hospice. I did volunteer work for a great hospice organization. One of my projects was to contact caregivers...from parents, spouses. Significant others, children...to see how things were going, get answers to questions. I can't count the number of times I was told that the caregiver's only regret was that they fought it too long, and wished they had enlisted hospice earlier. Your comment about living with it so long, and getting an outside observer is so true. I am happy for you that you are taking this step. Best.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Maureen, I’m so sorry for what you’re going through and I’m glad you brought hospice on board. I understand what you said about becoming so used to the deficits that they become normalized. Seeing our loved one through someone else’s eyes can be a shock. Stay strong and know that you’re not alone. Sending hugs and prayers.

Brenda

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Maureen, so glad you are getting extra help. It’s so hard when we have to see what others are seeing. We truly do become “used to “ things. Take care of yourself now!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more