Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH approved for in home hospice services

Hello ,

Just a quick update. Hospice nurse arrived this morning with one of the social workers who was here yesterday. several hours of intake and info. MOLST, etc. Bob is now enrolled, and i'm feeling a lot of support. They are scheduling a home health aide to come once a week for some adl and personal care, volunteers who will come twice a week at 2 hour clips so that i can get out, A MASSAGE for husband and caregiver, coming to the house, which they coaxed me into booking,a weekly visit from the nurse, 24 hour on call nurse, (call them first before 911). and they have put me in for respite care which takes place at our local hospital. Bob would go there if i wanted to get away for a few days. Also we will begin to discontinue some RXs.

There's more, but im so burned out right now i can't remember ...I asked about being terminated after 6 months, and they said its simply a matter of re assess and renew enrollment and we know that ALZ doesn't get better.

Thankyou to all who offered support and hugs. I am so glad I didn't wait until the final days. The journey will be a lot less stressful now.

Maureen

P.S. Medicare usually approves this if you've reached stage 7. So I guess we're there now. The social worker came on her day off today to make sure it all went smoothly. That's dedication for you.

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Maureen, I'm sure this is a tough and exhausting time. I'm so glad you have help and that you're taking the opportunity to use some of the caregiver services. It sounds like hospice is a blessing. You and your DH are in my thoughts.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My brother was in hospice before he passed, and it was a blessing. I've never heard anything bad about hospice. And I'm sure you will find it very helpful. I'm glad you are getting the extra help, even though it might feel like you're entering a new phase. I'm sure you made a good choice. It will help a lot.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,719
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Im beginning to think we're close. Glad to hear your experience.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited September 2023

My DH has been on a real roller coaster for a few weeks shy of 2 years, which initially landed him on in-home hospice. So, though we were not Stage 7 then, his issues qualified him and have kept him there through the regular reassessments.

Only 1 exception: when he was discharged for gaining weight (due to leptin resistance he eats until I stop him - and now it can be anything (paper, hand cream, anything). His hospice nurse was disgusted that the system does not properly recognize the differences dementia presents for hospice patients, thus it essentially punished us for how his progression presented...since they consider weight loss mandatory as evidence of decline. Anyway, he was readmitted almost immediately on evaluation by a different hospice agency, and because he really was not medically stable at the time with multiple flags.

Just to echo your sense that hospice is a handful, their schedule for DH makes my house feel like grand central station which took a little getting used to! But the necessary services are SO helpful, and well worth the revolving door they created. He gets superior care between me and his hospice team, and I am so very grateful.

Hospice healers are a special breed. I can't say enough about their caregiving hearts for most all of the hospice Nurses, CNAs, and SWs that I've met. The closest thing I've ever met to angels on earth as a collective when it comes to respecting the dignity and humanity of late stage, disabled, &/or elderly people in the final phase of life. And their compassion and awareness re: we primary caregivers' needs, which the rest of our medical system generally seems to ignore. I envy you the massages! I am so very glad you and your LO have the extra support that hospice brings.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m glad for you that the assessment went well and he was enrolled. Sounds like a chance for you both to have a break and have a support in this next stage

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more