Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

physical and aggressive behavior

Hi,

This is about my FIL. He is 92 and he is living at home with a full time aide. He never had a diagnosis from a neurologist (don't ask me why, I am only the DIL) but he is delusional and has dementia. His wife died 2 years ago, but he had been not well since before that. She never told anyone of his problems. Married people are like that - children might listen!

He is now at the point where is having violent delusions and he thinks his aide is going to do bad things to him. Today he hit her in the chest and then wouldn't deal with her at all. He stayed in bed all day. Aide didn't call anyone, my husband called to speak to his dad and aide gave him this news.

This has happened once before. His other children don't want his meds increased, but honestly I don't know why. I would rather he be tired and sleepy than having him be aggressive. It's time for more meds or a facility. I'm not sure.

Anyone out there dealing with violent behavior? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

M

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'd say the physical aggressiveness has to be controlled. The doctor might increase his medication or order something new for it. If it not addressed, the aide will not likely stay on that job. And if he is physically aggressive, a facility will not take him until that is a thing of the past. It might take a geri- psychiatrist to deal with medications.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more