Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New technology

So I get teepa snow emails and saw one that discussed a new technology that is an interactive projector and I searched the internet to see how it is being used.

I am not trying to sell anything and I have no interest in the company but it's called Trovertafel it is expensive. I am gonna look into possibly helping to fund one for the mcf where my dw is.

Stewart

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I checked, and sure enough, this is a Dutch innovation. Tafel means table in Dutch. They are at the forefront of dementia care (eg: dementia villages).

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Tovertafel (Dutch), or "Magic Table, in English, is a marvelous invention that has been around for awhile. It was developed in 2009 as part of a PhD student's project, and put on the market in 2015. It is a marvelous activity with many benefits for those with dementia or developmental disabilities - have to hand it to the Dutch; as Marta stated, they are far ahead of most in dementia care and service; their Dementia Villages are nothing short of amazing and respectful care of those in need.

Videos of the Tovertafel in action: (I like the goldfish)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tovertafel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIK53oFgyms

The cost is around $16,000. Some facilities have had fund raisers to help with the cost.

I get such delight watching peoples faces when using the game.

As for the Dutch dementia villages; we have nothing like it. Here is an older video of my very favorite with Dr, Sanjay Gupta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwiOBlyWpko

The Dutch government subsidizes the residents, the $8,000 per month per person goes far lower to the costs to families at about $3,600 per month and for those who do not have such funds, there are different arrangements.

Sometimes when i see such caring and touching benevolence, it touches me deeply including a few teary eyes. What a blessing to have such a setting - if only . . . .

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Stewart, thank you for the thread. It looks great!

Jo, thanks for the links. If it's as good as it looks, it's worth every penny. I'd love to actually see disabled people using it, whether dementia, mental illness, or whatever. If anyone knows where you can see it in action, please leave a link. I could see something like that being used in a library, so those who are cash strapped could get the benefit of it. I might be willing to run a fundraiser for something like that.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jo C, thanks for the links, especially about the Dutch Dementia Village.

Iris

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Love it! Thanks TBE and Jo C for sharing!

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited September 2023

Just found out that they have a second generation of Tovertafel product which is smaller, more sophisticated in its capabilities, as well as more games AND ongoing guidance which sounds like a big positive.

Link to the person who had the inspiration to create this and what she felt her purpose was and also describes the second generation system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoDLNzyecA0&list=PLEP-wQb5X6d2FPV_i8JzBdi0pWSJiwg33

Here is a page for the U.S. company that manages the Tovertafel product in the U.S. It appears they are in New York. Perhaps they can provide a listing of facilities with a Tovertafel near you.

https://www.tover.care/us/contact-us

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thank you, Jo. I sent an email to see if there is anywhere in my area to see a demonstration, or even facilities nearby who might use it. I think it looks promising. I have a feeling they might have something in Chicago, but I really don't cherish driving there, even though it's not that far.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

It looks interesting. I wonder if something on a smaller scale could be developed as an app for a tablet? There are lots of game apps out there, but haven’t seen any that are simple enough for a person in advanced stages of dementia.

• ElCy
    ElCy Member Posts: 151
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My DH was in geripsych at Parthenon in Nashville. They have one. It is AWESOME!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more