Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Zoloft/Celexa

Has anyone had experience with either of these or in combination for helping with anxiety in PWD?

Comments

• GG06
    GG06 Member Posts: 92
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary
    edited September 2023

Hi Morna, My husband has FTD and has been on Zoloft for 2 years. It has been very effective for him.

• Morna
    Morna Member Posts: 9
    5 Likes First Anniversary First Comment

GG06 Thank you

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband has been on Celexa for a year for evening agitation and anger. He has been calmer on it.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 469
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My HWD/Alz has been taking Zoloft successfully for over one year.He started at 25 one time per day and now on 50 one time per day .

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Mom is currently on sertraline ( generic Zoloft) and it’s been very helpful in reducing her anxiety along with mirtrazipine for depression. I thought I would lose my mind due to her crying and anxiety until we got her on that combination.

• Morna

Thanks for all the replies

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi, Morna. My DH has been on citalopram (generic Celexa) for five months or so now for anxiety and anger management. We have had to increase the dose twice (he started on a very low 5 mg a day) twice, and he has tolerated it well. It is making it possible for him to go to and enjoy an adult day program two days a week, which is good for both of us.

• Morna

Tigersmom

Thank you 😊

• niftynana
    niftynana Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    My love is on sertraline for anxiety and depression since early on. It helped him within two days. He was talking about wanting to do away with himself a few times. He hasn’t mentioned since. He has Alz.
  • MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 872
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited September 2023

My mother did well with Celexa. It took the edge off enough. Her symptoms were mild; if someone has severe behavior issues or anxiety then something stronger is often needed but these SSRIs are often the thing to try first. Less risk and interaction with other meds.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Morna

A dear friend's mom was prescribed Celexa for anxiety/mild agitation in the mid-stages of dementia by her internist. It worked quite well for her.

Sometimes with SSRIs like Celexa and Zoloft, it can take several weeks to determine if it's the right medication and best dose for the person. It's not unusual to have to try a few types before hitting on the best match for your PWD and it's best to start at a low dose and increase it slowly which can be challenging when your LO is suffering.

My own dad was already on Prozac when diagnosed. We did increase the dose to see if it would dial back his anxiety which manifested as agitation and aggression. Dad's neurologist offered a low dose of an atypical antipsychotic in the evenings to help with this and sleep. It wasn't enough. We took dad to a geriatric psychiatrist who took over his psychoactive medications. If the Celexa/Zoloft alone doesn't bring relief from the anxiety, I would encourage you to add a geripsych to his team. Dad's geri psych increased the Seroquel to 2 x daily (same dose) and added a NDRI (similar to an SSRI) at a low dose to his cocktail. We were a little concerned about him taking so many meds, but the low doses allowed the meds to work together with fewer side effects from each. There was still some anxiety, but it responded well to approaches like validation and redirection.

HB

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My DW has been on Risperidone 0.25 mg for about two weeks and seems to be calmer and less agitated in groups. We went to a class reunion yesterday and it went better than precious similar situations.

• Morna

Niftynana, MN Chickadee, harshedbuzz, Davegtant

Thanks for your replies and helpful comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Norma: just FYI - Zoloft and Celexa would not be used together (if that is what you mean by ‘in combination’,) as they are in the same drug class SSRI. But each one of those can be used in combination with drugs from other classes.

If your loved one has a heart condition of any kind, I would steer away from Celexa and Lexapro, as just recently new cardiac concerns have been published.

• Morna

Thank you

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia