Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Has anyone obtained a ramp and other equipment through the VA?

Hi,

I'm trying to get a ramp and a chair through the VA. I sent a message to VA PCP, but I'm wondering what comes next. My daughter works for a medical equipment company, and told me i need a PO from VA. Of course, i need the ramp asap as my DH has had a dramatic decline.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MAUREEN

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I have found trying to get anything through the VA is like pulling teeth. But I have made friends with the social worker on my dh’s case. So I always call her first, I explain to her what I think we need, why , and ask if she could recommend something different or what she thinks. Bottom line she contacts PCP, explains what and why, he then signs off on it, then it goes to the lady that makes final decision, then it gets ordered. Time consuming but that’s the thing that has worked for us. PCP may or may not get around to the paper work but when the social worker walks in into his office it gets signed. Best of luck to you!

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

ok thank you! i have that number and her extension on the fridge!

best,

Maureen

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 58
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

My DH is a vet and we have received everything we needed for his care (most of the time) very quickly with the VA. I do work with a VA social worker who is very timely in handling my request. I also use the VA portal. The VA has gives me respite care 180 hours a year, day care with payment for transportation, in home help 3x a week for showers, depends, etc...

One issue with the VA is that not all medical providers are aware of all the programs and help the VA can provide. I do ask lots of questions and if something doesn't sound right or I don't understand i keep asking.

• gampiano

Thank you for the great input!

I put in a call to the social worker this morning, and within 2 hours she called me back and the order for the ramp has been submitted!

One thing make life easier..

Maureen

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Maureen, I'm thrilled for you! Congrats!!

• gampiano

Thank you, Ed. It made my day.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Maureen glad you got the items you needed!! Hope they make life a little easier for you and your dh.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more